Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

do airflow mods decrese reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do airflow mods decrese reliability?

i know boring out, high compression, and cams all decrease reliability but what about air flow mods such as air filter/box and pipes. I remember a while back someone saying he was puttin a turbo on his 400ex and everyone was like "your crazy, youll blow the engine in a day" and he left a pretty big reply stating how air flow mods such as a turbo doesnt increase inertia and therefore only very slighly decreases reliability even with a huge increase in power.

The reason i ask is because i was thinkin about putting a turbo or most likely kn filter and exhaust on my ford explorer sport when/if i get it and i was told that the motor definately wont last as long as if i didnt have a turbo on. He said the only way for it not to decrease reliability is if the motor is built to accomodate a turbo from the factory. Such as WRX, GTI, XTERRA, etc. he told me that if i bought the regular v6 xterra which is the same size motor as the supercharged xterra, and put a supercharger/turbo on the non supercharged v6, it wouldnt last as long as the same motor that came supercharged from the factory because even tho the engine may look the same, internally they are built for different tollerances.

Came someone please verify the truth to this? o and dont fuel injectors electronically compensate for more air by giving more fuel? So if i put a kn filter on my truck or car, it shouldnt run lean because isnt the computer supposed to realize its running lean and compensate? whats the deal with that? thanks for any enlightenment!

Old 09-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

wow, nobody is in the knowhow of this? anybody that can enlighten men i would appreciate a reply. thanks, warrior

Old 09-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

air flow can do a big diffrence but if you like cut holes in your air box or sometrhigns that makes it run better but its bad for it but like a aftermarket pipe and like a kn air fileter should do bad but you need to get it jetted if you do that

Old 09-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

o yeah i know itll do bad if it runs lean and all that. But im just saying, jetted right and all that, since the engine is putting out more hp, does that decrease reliability? or is it just when you add high performance parts like pistons and cams?

Im more askin concerning a truck engine, do mods like kn filters decrease reliability. like i said, i remember someone saying that adding 60 more hp in his 400ex through a turbo didnt hurt anymore because it was an airflow mod, not an actual engine mod. Someone else explained to me that if your increasing your hp, your putting more strain on the engine therefore putting more wear...theres no way out of it?

i just wanted to know which is true?

Old 09-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

hi my opinion and i have built many engines .a free flow air filter is great . as for noticing much gain if any? questionable but as you do other mods. you will need the most airflow, please remember the goal.. faster it gets in is the faster it gets out . keep that in mind
later peace , and good will ,, bro

Old 09-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

o yeah, i prety much understand the whole concept behind airflow. But im not asking if increasing airflow will increase power. I know it will. Im basically asking if increasing power necessarily has to decrease reliability? it seems so far that when you do things that increase power, you lose reliability. That is why im guessing people are always saying they dont wanna go past a 686 cause they dont wanna lose too much reliability. After reading that guys post, about the turbo i thought there might be a loophole where u can get more power without sacrificing reliability.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

The reason people tell you that the motor wont be able to handle the turbo is becasue the motor will have to deal with the added stress of boost (PSI) in the motor. Its kinda like raising the compression on your ATV, If the motor isnt tuned right then it will knock, ping, and detonate, causing damage. So, adding a turbo is comperable to raising the C/R on the motor, only alot more so. Also, most turbo motors come with special pistons the are set up to deal with boost (lower C/R, forged, oil squirters). It is however possible to run a turbo if you do certain things, like add an intercooler, and upgrade your injectors, run higher octane gas, and keep the boost from the turbo at a lower level.
edit spelling

Old 09-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

when you make power, there is more stress somewhere.