Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Deal...too good to be true

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Deal...too good to be true

Just send them a return email address of the local FBI office - I did that to one guy and he pulled his ad. Its not going to stop sophisticated scammers, but it will let them know they're being watched.

Old 09-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

I have a feeling these things will lead to lawsuits and possibly even be the demise of ebay.

Ebay can only hide for so long. If it becomes a big problem with lots of people being scammed ebay could be left holding the bag. No matter what their contracts say.

It is kind of like ebay is harboring these people. I know they do what they can, however it is not enough.

just my 2 cents on the whole thing, what makes me mad is I have thought about selling one of my quads through ebay, but it would look like the price were out of line compared to these super cheap ones. These things give people a skewed view of what some of these quads are worth.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Here is an email I just got back from one of the raptors for sale on ebay.

Thank you for your email and the interest in purchasing my quad.

For sale is a 2003 Yamaha Raptor YFM660. It has GTY-R Headlight Guards and Handle guard, Full aluminum skid plates (A-arms, Frame, Swingarm) and a K&N Air Filter.

Now I'm interested to close the deal with a fair price for both sides.

I can give you the quad for $ 2,700-US, shipping/handling included.

I have to tell you that my location is Siegen, Germany and the quad is here too.

The shipping of the quad, the keys and the contract will be done via Fed Ex and you'll get them in 4-6 days.

Regarding the payment, before shipping takes place you have to make a deposit for the entire amount.

The idea is that I don't require a payment in advance, only a payment proof that you have the money and you intend to buy it.

To be able to check that the amount has been deposited accordingly, the deposit will be made using an on-line transfer from western union. Please note that I will not ship until the deposit is made.

For security reasons you will make a transfer using your name as the sender, a name to your choice as the receiver (your wife name, for example) and my address for location.

After the deposit is made, I will need its details to verify it (receiver's name, sender's name and the transfer number).

If it's ok, I'll start the shipping process providing you the tracking number of the shipment, to track it on-line until it will arrive. You will inspect the quad when it will arrive. If you will intend to keep it, you will go and change the name of the receiver into my name.This will enable me to pick up the deposit and it will finalize our deal.

If you don't like the quad, no question asked, you will cancel the deposit and I'll ship it back.But I know my quad and I'm 100% sure that you will keep it.

Because Western Union doesn't agree such a deposit-transfer if you are being asked why you are transferring the money, tell them that you are transferring them to a relative not to make a deposit.

Let me know your decision.

Thanks,

Stephen

I dont know exactly how the scam works, but I am not willing to put my money up to find out either.

If anyone wants to put up the money we can find out.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I just went to western unions site to see what they say, it says that use of a fake name or changing the name on the transaction does not protect the money, if someone shows up with an ID with that name on it payment will be made.

So, I am guessing they get you to give them the names involved and transaction number and then have an ID made with that name on it and go get the money.

I will bet anyone that wants to try this, that it is a scam.

Old 09-25-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Why go through all this trouble? e-bay has an escrow service and Paypal offers buyers insurance.

I just wish e-bay would let me do a search of items within 150 miles of my zip code. I wouldn't buy any big ticket items without seeing them first.

/Jon

Old 09-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have a business relationship with Western Union - so I'm very familiar with their systems and how this works. The guy is using WU because, technically you can pick up the $ anywhere (he probably isn't even in Germany) with the proper information and identification. Also, the price is below the radar screen for CTR's - Currency Transaction Reports - where large sums of money (used to be $10k, but now reduced due to money laundering) are required by law to be tracked. This is total fraud. The second you actually did a WU money transfer "send", someone somewhere with the right information picks up the cash, and your screwed.

This just pisses me off knowing hat some unknowing, unsuspecting buyer, somewhere will get reamed. The seller is probably linked to a number of different "scams" related to money laundering and PC crimes. Who knows, these scams can even be funding drug import/exporting and even terrorism.

I just checked the link, looks like ebay pulled it. The scam will show up somewhere else.

Old 09-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Ebay probably pulled it because I sent them an email with his email attached.

I have notified them of about 8 of these in the last week or so.

Oh, and the way they steal your info is by sending an email to you that looks like it is from ebay, asking for your login information and personal information about you. Then they can steal your account and put up these fraudulent auctions.

bat

Old 09-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Not to beat a dead horse, but here is an email from another "seller" on ebay almost the exact same wording. What do they use a form letter

Hello there,
Thank you for your email and the interest in purchasing my item.
The quad has barely been used. I have only run about three tanks full of gas
through this thing since I bought it. It is in like new condition.

Now I'm interested to close the deal with a fair price for both sides.
I can give you the quad for $ 2,900-US, shipping/handling included.
I have to tell you that my location is Berlin, Germany and the quad is here
too.

The shipping of the quad will be done via J.C. Motors on my charge. The keys
and the contract will be sent via FedEx.
You'll get them in 2 days and the quad will arrive in 4-6 days.
Regarding the payment, before shipping takes place you have to make a
deposit for the entire amount.
The idea is that I don't require a payment in advance, only a payment proof
that you have the money and you intend to buy it.
To be able to check that the amount has been deposited accordingly, the
deposit will be made using an on-line transfer from western union.
Please note that I will not ship until the deposit is made.
For security reasons you will make a transfer using your name as the sender,
a name to your choice as the receiver (your wife name, for example) and
Germany for location.
After the deposit is made, I will need the details of the transfer to verify
it. If it's ok, I'll start the shipping process providing you the tracking
numbers from the shipments, to track them on-line until they will arrive.
You will inspect the quad when it will arrive. If you will intend to keep
it, you will go and change the name of the receiver into my name.This will
enable me to pick up the deposit and it will finalize our deal.
If you don't like the quad, no question asked, you will cancel the deposit
and I'll ship it back.
But I know my quad and I'm 100% sure that you will keep it.

Let me know your decision.
Thanks,
Kris

Old 09-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: NotuRaptor2
Why go through all this trouble? e-bay has an escrow service and Paypal offers buyers insurance.

I just wish e-bay would let me do a search of items within 150 miles of my zip code. I wouldn't buy any big ticket items without seeing them first.

/Jon
go to www.ebaymotors.com that is still ebay but mainly thing with motor (hence the name lol). in the ebaymotors search you can select a region to search......