Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Chest Protector

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chest Protector

Do chest protectors really save you from bruised, broken ribs, etc. in the case of a bad crash or are they primarily for roost? And does anybody know where you can get a Brian Deegan replica with the spikes?? Those things are badass.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Chest Protector

They are really made for roost but a chest protector is better than no chest protector and this is why I wear one whenever Iam doing any kind of jumping.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Chest Protector

Yea they can get pretty helpful.. and they look cool too lol they really help on any kind of jump.. and yea bryan deagens is custom made.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Chest Protector

Im getting a SHIFT roostdeflector in the mail with a SHIFT riding suit, its going to be pretty sweet

Old 09-26-2003, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Chest Protector

If you are looking for a spiked chest protector, go to the GUAR web site. They rock and have cool spiked chest protectors. GUAR is cool, ask Butthead.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Chest Protector

I don't/won't ride a track w/o one. I know for a fact I've been spared greater injury wearing one. I wear Shift everything except gloves (Fox - Flexair) & obviously boots (Alpinestars Tech 8).

selector

Old 09-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Chest Protector

Originally posted by: HiFlyinRaptorRyder
Do chest protectors really save you from bruised, broken ribs, etc. in the case of a bad crash or are they primarily for roost? And does anybody know where you can get a Brian Deegan replica with the spikes?? Those things are badass.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Yea spikes..........thats a good idea.......that'll definately help protect ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Seriously, Whenever I'm at a track as well I won't ride without one. As others have said they are primarily for roost deflection, but do help protect from injury. Not as common on quads, but when I was racing dirtbikes it saved me from getting road rash several times as I slid on my back/chest when involunterly dismounted. Any protective gear is worth the dough, and if you get the right ones some of them can look pretty cool. As for Degan.....don't get me startedl. I think hes an idiot, and a jerk. I do think he is ballzy, but I think the whole "metal melisha" thing is a joke and degrading for the sport. But again thats just my opinion. I guess I'm just a purist/Old foggy when it comes to Mx. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Range Rover
Default Chest Protector

Yes they definitely help protect you. I have wrecked several times while wearing a fox. I flew square into a tree and just bounced off it backwards. Surely it saved broken bones. I have also used it like a turtle shell to slide on the ground. Best money I ever spent.

Old 09-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Chest Protector

The manufacturers call them roost deflectors rather than chest protecters because of lawsuit protection. Same reason pickup truck roll bars are called show bars. Thank your local trial lawyer for that one by pimp slapping him with your hard plastic "roost protecter".

Naw, I never really have an opinion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Chest Protector

Yes (they can) save you from fractures and broken bones. It never ceases to amaze me when inspecting/cleaning my chest protecter, helmet and boots of the amount of damage they've sustained. Makes you wonder how that would have translated to your body without them.

i remember rolling the raptor in a sandpit... having the quad roll over me with the end of the handle bars digging into my chest...i heard and felt a..snap!. and thought..oh boy that can't be good. turned out to be a piece of the chest protecter between two vents (near my ribs) that let go. not me.

lesson learned that day: always wear my protector...i normally only wore it on track...never in a pit with soft sand (lol). that all changed that day.

Quick Reply: Chest Protector