Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

shock Reservoir installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock Reservoir installation

i've sent my Elkas back for service. im having them extend the rear shocks canister line so i can mount the reservoir up front. i'm told the extended line allows for more fluid to help keep the shock cooler and access to the canister is better for adjusting.

has anyone else done this? where did you actually mount the reservoir up front. any thoughts are appreciated. ill need to supply Elka with the length for the line soon.

Old 09-26-2003, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

youve got an 01 Raptor, why do you want to mount the rezi up front??
Use the stock mount!

I dont see why you would want to do that.
My opinion is the shorter the oil line, the less distance for the oil to travel to reach the shock, ie the quicker the shock will respond.

just my opinion though......may be absoulute rubish. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have a LSR subframe and it does not have a Mount. i'm actually in the middle of completely rebuilding my raptor. Tranny failed. and frame had bent over the years. replaced both Main & sub frames and dropped down to +2. check out my pics.

anyways i was told the longer line holds more fluid and relocating makes it easier to adjust. even in the stock sub frame i couldn't really get to it good enough.

as Ridley has kindly replied, however...the effectiveness could be disputed. I think i'll do it for convenience alone.

Thanks for he informative reply Ridley...you covered everything.

and as for the 4Runner...it is the best vehicle i ever owned hands down. no S. if you have the means...you have to get the V8 i-Force engine for the extra $1500 clams. I got a limited, fully loaded. the navigation system rocks. when buddies take me to their secret riding areas...i just hit "Mark"on the Nav-system. and it's all mine. it's funny because they hate to share their best riding places.

feel free to pm me with any questions you may have. i've been so happy with Toyota...i went out and got my wife into the Highlander with the V6. All-wheel drive is the way to go. i'll never own another vehicle without it again