Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor will not start

Hello all, I know it has been some time since my last post, But I am afraid I need some help. I havent rode the raptor in awhile, and decided to go threw her and get her running again, Well i changed the oil, cleaned the carbs and was attempting to set the valves, when i became stumped. What is the coorect way to find top dead center on the 2001 raptor? I did what I thought was right and it will not start. It Just back fires. It has been six months or more since I ran it last. I called my dealer and after the conversation he lead me to believe it had jumped time and sheared a key. Well I took off the stator cover and removed the big nut that holds on the big silver Magneto? But cannot get the thing off to replace the key, And I am not sure that it is sheared anyway, But he assured me he has repaired many? I tried using my pullly and sterring wheel pullers but decided to stop and get some advice. I tried all the usuals , new plug, new gas, oil change, but cannot get this thing to start. Let me know what you think. and thanks in advance

Old 09-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

First thing I would do is check the timing again. I usually take the spark plug out and only insert a couple threads so I can hear air passing by the spark plug when you are on the compression stroke. I remove the 2 plugs on the left side cover too turn the crank and check timing marks. I get a 1/2" rachet + extension with the appropriate socket (3/4...13/16?). I then slowly start turning the engine over watching the timing marks through the small access hole........I start too hear compression....the mark T lines up with the slot in the access hole and I am close. Now about an inch later you get too an I (can't make the correct capitol I on keyboard)....bam you are on TDC. Valves are closed and it's adjustment time.....take pains too perfectly set valve clearance. Now double check that your timing mark has not moved. Initially, you may need too turn the engine over a lot too get a good feeling for when you are on the compression stroke. Piece of cake....you have just saved yourself some cash and know it's done right.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I do is take the cover off to get to the intake valves and while turning the engine counter clock wise watch the intakes open then close, after they close it's about a half a turn to get to the TDC mark.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sixsixT
What I do is take the cover off to get to the intake valves and while turning the engine counter clock wise watch the intakes open then close, after they close it's about a half a turn to get to the TDC mark.
Me too, also you did not shear a key, imo. You need the appropriate puller to get the flywheel off. You may even be able to look between the shaft and flywheel and see if the grooves for the keyway still line up, if they do your keyway is not sheared off. Ican't remember if you can see this or not but it'd be alot easier than taking that flywheel off to find out you didn't have to.