ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   yfz450 vs yz450f (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/119919-yfz450-vs-yz450f.html)

PredFan 10-02-2003 04:24 PM

yfz450 vs yz450f

Originally posted by: MNRAP
what month issue is that article in?

I also heard they did a comparison in Dirt Rider mag ...
Article is in the Nov. (I believe) DW. If there was an article in Dirt Rider or other cycle Rag, that would be a great non-ATV persepctive to read.

RaptorRookie 10-02-2003 04:29 PM

yfz450 vs yz450f

Also take into consideration the size of the bake tire. If you make one revolution with the YFZ's back tire, and then one revoltution with the YZ's back tire, which one is going to roll farther? Now in a race, if the rear tires are turning the same rpms, the YZ with the bigger tire is going to go alot farther every revolution than the YFZ. If you put the same size tire on each bike, (height, not width) then race, the outcome will change drastically. I'm not saying that the YZ would now lose, but if it still won, it would not be even close to the same length as before. Just my .02

2-Knee

DEMag 10-02-2003 04:37 PM

yfz450 vs yz450f

Transmissions on bikes and quads are much different. You couldn't put dirt bike wheels and tires on a quad or put quad wheels and tires on a dirt bike. It would ruin the power and speed of both machines. It wouldn't be possible to have a decent running machine without drastic transmission mods.

rennym 10-02-2003 05:30 PM

yfz450 vs yz450f

Originally posted by: DEMag

Originally posted by: rennym
On pavement, this probably true.

But in the sand, the traction afforded by two FAT driving wheels, compared to one narrow one is suprising. The quad will roast the bike, just in traction alone. (I have a video on it, that shows the bike getting smoked in the drags.....I would post it but I don't have a website....)

On hardpack, the bike may not get the first 20 ft for the same traction reasons, but after that, it's all over with the bike way out front.
In theory, what you are saying is true about the sand. But in reality its not. A paddle tire on a dirt bike = awesome traction in the sand. Quads just don't compare to bikes. Sure, bikes have been beaten by quads in all sorts of races. But if you put a STOCK YFZ450 (with paddles) against a STOCK YZ450F (with paddle), the bike will come out on top. When I had my YZ250, the only quad I ever lost an uphill drag race in the sand to was a 250R which the owner said was bored out to 350 and had a butt load of work done to. I don't know how truthful he was, but it doesnt matter. He won. And I still think he would have won even if I was using a paddle that day, which I was not. But it would have been much closer. He simply had an amazing 250R with probably no less then $15,000 invested (judging by all the trick aftermarket parts and mods he was talking about).

I haven't raced them in the sand, but stock for stock using paddles, the bike may come out on top, but the quad should give it some problems up to 3rd gear. Someone on here has to have raced the by now...... C'mon post the results.

I ride my bike and quad, and my buddy's YFZ pretty often. I know what the pull of a bike feels like. Much harder than a quad. Initially I was pretty suprised at that video I watched of 4-5 quads and a bike lining up in the sand but the traction argument rings true.

BTW, I have the same truck, just silver.

DEMag 10-02-2003 05:38 PM

yfz450 vs yz450f

Originally posted by: rennym
BTW, I have the same truck, just silver.
Sweet. I wanted it in Silver. I don't wash it very often so it always looks dirty. Silver still looks good even if you don't wash it. How do you like it?

Yamaha4eva 10-03-2003 08:48 AM

yfz450 vs yz450f

all true, but u cant take a bike anywhere you want, with an atv there is no limits...well unless you wanna drive down a cliff or a waterfall or something lol

HappaRap 10-03-2003 10:48 AM

yfz450 vs yz450f

Racing on pavement, dirt hard pack or sand, doesn't matter, the bike's gonna kill the quad, witnessed it many times.

DEMag 10-03-2003 01:20 PM

yfz450 vs yz450f

Originally posted by: Yamaha4eva
all true, but u cant take a bike anywhere you want, with an atv there is no limits...well unless you wanna drive down a cliff or a waterfall or something lol
I have to disagree. I've gone many more places with a bike then I could with a quad. Bikes are so light, nimble, and narrow its hard to find a place they can't go. The only place I can think of where a bike can't go is mud bogging. There have been many instances where if I was riding a quad, I wouldn't have been able to get where I wanted to go but made it with a bike no problem. Oh and cliffs are no problem on a bike either. Just as long as they are not too high.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

rennym 10-03-2003 02:56 PM

yfz450 vs yz450f

Originally posted by: DEMag

Originally posted by: Yamaha4eva
I have to disagree. I've gone many more places with a bike then I could with a quad. Bikes are so light, nimble, and narrow its hard to find a place they can't go. The only place I can think of where a bike can't go is mud bogging. There have been many instances where if I was riding a quad, I wouldn't have been able to get where I wanted to go but made it with a bike no problem. Oh and cliffs are no problem on a bike either. Just as long as they are not too high.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I'm with DeMag on this. Unless mud bogging, snow or really greasy mud, the bike is not only much easier on the rider (power, weight, suspension), but you only have to work on one track (two wheels) as opposed to two.

I climb very steep hills with ruts and rough surfaces, the bike soaks it up, and has tons of power to spare. Not to mention, that if you dump, you have a better chance that the bike will fall on it's side, and not tumble endlessly down the hill.

Up here in Toronto, I ride the bike all summer, and as the weather gets crappy, I switch to the quad for the mud and snow.

The YFZ has me grinning about getting near bike acceleration in a quad. But it really kicks the crap out of the rider, compared to the bike.....

IwannaTRX450R 10-03-2003 03:00 PM

yfz450 vs yz450f

My buddy has a YFZ and he has GYT-R exhaust and the yz-450f had Fmf and the YFz was beating the bike until it got passed by the bike at about 500yds. the bike only won by about 1 quad length. The race took place at in the dirt.