Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 Raptor weak links - I think I'm finally done !?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Raptor weak links - I think I'm finally done !?

1) Replaced 01 tranny with 02 (and cryo'ed).
2) Relaced tie-rods / ends with Ricky Stators.
3) Replaced One-Way with L&A Designs.
4) Replaced choke cable.

I think that wraps up the major issues with the 01's - correct ??
Am I missing anything ?

Thanks to Mike at Ripper Racing and his work on Raptortranny.com - it made the major work much easier ! Ripper racing

Old 10-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Where are the pics man?! I'm in the middle of a tranny swap now. did you mod the engine at all while you did the tranny work. i'm thinking about changing the piston and change to a hotcam stage1. what did it cost to cryo the tranny? was it just the gears?

Old 10-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

From what I hear the stock axle is pretty weak as well.

Old 10-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The axle issue was limited too "some" 01 Raptors and the rest are as good as OEM gets. Fisher, have you replaced the weak 01 design intake boots? I would keep the aluminum subframe until it bends.....the Raptor is heavy enough as is.

Old 10-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Kuz,
I didnt do any engine mods (just exhaust/air cleaner/jet kit) - wanted to maintain as much relaibility as possible for occasional desert racing and duning. I cryo'ed just the gears with dogs since that's what broke on the 01 tranny - cost = $38 (contact Cryoscience.com). Raptortranny.com has a great manual with pics for the tranny swap.

Ridley,
Yep - still got the stock frame and Yes it's starting to crack where the subframe meets it and down by the bottom rear cross brace. Luckily, one of my riding buddy's an aerospace welder (certified in just about everything) so he's gonna fix me up soon. I'll eventually upgrade depending on how well the "fix" holds up.....

Bryan,
Havent had any troubles with the stock axle - I'm not a jumper....unless I'm in the process of crashing.

Gary,
Havent had any issues with the boots. They may be weak but I'm thinking the root of the problem is poor valve adjustment causing the backfire. Good boots would be nice (I think UPP is making them) to mitigate the potential of popping a boot ! Gotta get some...

Thanks for the input gents - keep the ideas coming

Old 10-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FISHER1648

Bryan,
Havent had any troubles with the stock axle - I'm not a jumper....unless I'm in the process of crashing.
LOL very good comeback fisher! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm hoping that mine is not a problem as well. I also agree about the carb boots. I think lack of valve adj. plays a BIG roll in that problem, although I don't rule out the possiblity that the high comp. motors could make enough back pressure to be an issue.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Flynbryan

I also agree about the carb boots. I think lack of valve adj. plays a BIG roll in that problem, although I don't rule out the possiblity that the high comp. motors could make enough back pressure to be an issue.

Bryan,

I agree with you about the valve adjustment issue. I have been arguing this point for years. I don't understand what you mean about the backpressure though. Backpressure relates to pressure buildup from the exhaust valves to the exhaust keeping the cylinder pressure from reaching 1 atmosphere of pressure upon decompression helping push the engine into the next rotation. However, this pressure is already negative by the time the intake valves open and no pressure should be shot back into the carbs when the timing is adjusted right.

~HoundDog

Old 10-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When I finally get the weak links fixed mine will be wore out and I will have too start over....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].