Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior wheel spacers -beware

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior wheel spacers -beware

Just put spacers on my wifes 2002 Warrior. 5" total in the rear and 3" total in the front. Heres the problem: ordered the dura blue for the front and the instructions basically said : pull the hub . knock out the wheel studs and insert spacer bolts and spacer and reinstall wheel. Sounds simple enough. Well heres what really happened.... after pulling the hub locking nut you find out the disc wont come off unless you pull the brake caliper. OK two bolts and the caliper comes off , now pull the hub with the brake disc rotor attached and whoops the bolts for the spacer can't be put in yet because the disc covers the hole. SO now take the disc off the rotor , four factory lock nutted allen head bolts..... now the bolts will go through. BUT dont forget the bushings for the holes. now push the bolts though the holes. oh wait the bolts are too tight now so take your impact wrench and crank those bolts though the bushings. OK now put it back together.. disc to hub , caliper over disc and stuff the whole thing back on to that spindle. Crank down that lock nut for the hub and put on your wheel. Put on the lugnuts and take your wrench put it on the back of the bolt to keep it from spinning and ........ wait you cant access the back of the wheel bolts because the factory sheet metal plate that protects the brake disc and caliper completely blocks any access to the back of the bolts. AND the only way to get that plate off is to take all that sh#t off again and pull the tin off the front of the spindle....

Now in all fairness the rears dont have any crap in the way but with spacers you still need three hands to hold the spacer , bolts and tire and crank it down.

man what ever happened about truth in advertising ..or directions.? So anyway I just took my impact wrench and cranked the crap out of them because the fronts will not get changed out like the rears when I put on rear paddles ..

SO thanks for letting me vent and next time I am going to consider getting new rims with a wider offset ,$80 vs $60 for the spacers, with alot less work.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

You should have bought the easy fits. No disassembly reqiured and perfect alignment.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats why I HATE Durablue. They have screwed me on my Raptor wheel spacers for weeks then to top it off they have a High tempered woman answering the phone for their support.

I went with Sand-Sports, pay a little more but NO HEADACHES>

Old 10-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I purchased a set of fronts a long while back just too get a feel for the width where I ride since I was thinking about a new a arm set-up. Anyway....after inspecting the spacers it was clear I could not even beat them on since the holes did not line up with the studs. After almost loosing it I gave them too a guy that had an evening too grind and drill on them too make them work. WHat a joke. Does anyone make front spacers that are only maybe an inch extra on each side?

Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

When you invert the rims I believe it gives you want you are looking for.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly...use flush mount valve stems and filp your front rims. in fact thats what i did for my warrrior. i bought a set of cheap Douglas rims with Raptor offset...that widened up the rear nicely (without the need for spacers) The fronts, i added 1.5 wheel spacers and flipped the rims around. i'm happy...

Old 10-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Are the flush mount valve stems pretty common? Are they available at the parts store?

Old 10-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

i got my at rocky mountain. can't remember what i paid. some guys just drill holes on the other side and install new stems...while plugging the old hole. not sure what they're using for a plug though.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Damn I just recieved mine to install. Guess I am going to pay a friend to to it that has more patience than me. If I get mad I will end up screwing it up bigtime. I am debating on sending them back to dennis kirk. Iam just wondering one thing. Do they actually help that much? I mean 5 inches is nice and I know it will make it handle better but are they durable enough? This whole topic has got me doubting myself now.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Flush mount stems? Can someone point me to a product? I flipped my rears last weekend, that was a cinch, but the fronts, before I even took them off I said hrmmm .. that's not gonna work .. valve stem will be torn off by the caliper .. I think with my front rims flipped I'd be wide enough for my riding pleasure ..

If someone can point me to a flush mount stem I'd be most appreciative [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and sorry to hear about your troubles there Jonsride .. The neatest spacers I've seen are complete rings that slip on over your existing studs and bolt down and there are studs on the ring which your wheel bolts to. Kinda expensive tho .. you can get them in a variety of spacings too .. +1.5, +3 etc ...

Quick Reply: Warrior wheel spacers -beware