Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee porting? Where? How much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Banshee porting? Where? How much?

Unless you've spent over a grand for the special tools needed to do the transfer windows, then about 1/2 or 2/3 of a port job is all you can do yourself. I can port a set of Banshee cylinders using the racelogic templates in under 5 hours. A beginner porting person will take a lot longer to do. One good slip or gouge can mess something up. It's best to let someone do them if you dont have the tools and not to mention spending the money on the templates. Maybe Hiram will sell you his[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget Tyson. I sent mine to K&T for a drag port, and decided to get a few other things while I was at it, and the bill came to $4800. So save up some money first. lol. I think some shops like Grand River and Patriot only take porting by reservation, so you might have to reserve a spot. but those are all good places, just depends on your preference.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the advice, what type of tools are we talking? When you said i would propably only be able to do about 1/3 or 2/3 of the porting job, does that means it would run right with only 1/3 or 2/3 or porting done, or could i still ride i just wouldn't be unlocking the full potential of a full port job? That might of been a stupid question, i don't know though. One last question on price if someone else does it, i've heard everything from $400 for a crappy half arsed job and $4800 for a full drag port, i would never drag race the shee professionally so i don't think i will need a full drag port so would it be cheaper? Or will it still be the same price? i could call around but i don't have long distance in my dorm room so does anybody have any general idea on how much a good mild port job would be? Ok, ok, i promise last question, what are you talking about when you say transfering the windows and when trxoutlawz said port the windows in the pistons? Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Dan at patriot racing quoted me 250$ for a trail port motor and 400$ for a full race spec motor(better power than stock on bottom, HELLACIOUS mid-range and mean top-end) the full race spec is a smooth deliever mx type port and the tail port has HELLACIOS bottom-end, great mid-range and stock like top-end. Adam said 4800$ b/c he got all kinds of other stuff done(building a drag 'shee). Porting should NEVER be over 800-900$

Mike

Old 10-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

thanks warrior620 my name is poorguy for a reason and $4800 for a port job would change my name to indebtguy, but you quotes sound a lot, a lot better. If i don't do any pro mx or dragging the trail port would probably be better for me, right? will a port job wake up some decent power along with a pro flo kit, jets and pipes? Thanks to everybody who helped answer my qestions.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Porting is what seperates the men from the boys, You could go w/ the trail port but I would just do it right the first time and go w/ the full race spec. With pipes, filter, reeds, porting and head mods, you'll have an EASY 60hp(w/ the full race spec). Here's an email dan sent me(my email is at the bottom):

Hi Michael-
Thank you for your interest in Patriot Racing.

I think our Hot Trail motor would be an excellent set-up for you!

The Hot Trail motor has good power throughout the spread. Stock-like bottom end, great mid range and pulls very well on top! Cost is very reasonable at $250/set. The mods that you have already will work VERY well with this set-up. Another option is a full race spec motor. Awesome power, good bottom end, fat mid range, and arm pulling top end! Cost is $400/set.

FULL RACE SPEC: Power wise. This is an interesting issue. Whats fast is subjective to different people and what is "too" much. Yes our full race spec motor is going to be a very potent yet rideable motor. Too much power- well this is where we really work to focus on a very important factor. Power spread! Too many shops get caught up in trying to make peak power to post HP numbers, but its not typically rider friendly. The better power spread our motors make, make the motor easier to ride! You dont have to rev the heck out of it to get the power out of it. The power is smooth and controllable. I also like to sometimes mention with a chuckle...well thats what that little flipper is on the right handlebar- the fun meter- push it to the desired level of excitement! If youve a motor that is making a good power spread for you it makes that possible.

Please let me know if you have any more questions and if youd like to book your spot in the schedule!

We work on a reservation system to keep the turnaround time down and when you are ready give us a holler!
Thanks again,
-Dan
Patriot Racing
Phn: 253.826.4881
"Quality through Performance, Performance through Quality"
www.patriotracing.net

Original Message:
>From: "michael" <mesquite@gcecisp.com>
>To: <tech@patriotracing.net>
>Subject: Porting Qoute on 'shee
>Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:33:33 -0500

>Dan, I have a 2000 model 'shee that needs some more stomp to it, I've done bascically every bolt-on possible: reeds, fatty's, cool-head 20cc(runs on 93), K&N. I ride mx, trails and some wide-open fields. What kind of port job will that require and How much should it run me?? I'm soon to have some spare change and I wan't to dump it into the 'shee (as usual)

Old 10-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

warrior620 thanks the letter was helpful, when he says $400/set he means intake and exhaust, so $400 per cylinder basically, right? Last question

Old 10-29-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, 400 bones for the whole getup.

Mike

Old 10-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

Warrior620 thanks a ton. So i lied again, and i really hate to start a new topic for this last question because it is probably really easy. Why do shees suck so bad at jumping or at least that's what i've heard. Can you change this downfall?

Old 10-30-2003, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I suggest doing this b4 porting but thats just me, but:

-2.5 swingarm(traction, turning radious,laptimes... all enhance)
shocks
a-arms
axle

Shoot me a Pm and I'll tell you all about the swingarm.

Mike

Quick Reply: Banshee porting? Where? How much?