Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is a Raptor worth the extra cash.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Raptor worth the extra cash.

I am undecided between a Warrior and a Raptor. Alot if my friends have Warriors so I have ridden those but never a Raptor. I want an atv for trail riding and riding in the snow. I will never race it. Is the Raptor good for trails or is it designer more for racing? Is the Raptor worth it for the extra money? I am 6'2" and weigh 210lbs. I figure some of you guys would have some opinions instead of me asking the local dealer. Thanks

Old 10-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

I would pop for the raptor, it will keep more of its resale than a warrior. But more importantly you will crush your buddies in races and I dont know why but my raptor seems to be alot better in the snow than my warrior ever was.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Get a Warrior and a nice exhaust and you'll have all you need if you don't plan to race or anything. Plus you can usually talk the dealers down a little more on Warrior prices then on Raptor prices [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Main thing is go with what feels comfortable for you though.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

I have owned both. I owned the raptor first, but had it stolen. Don't get me wrong the Raptor was a blast but I did not buy one the second time. It has tons of power but I think for trail riding I like my Warrior much better. And for all you raptor owners dying to flame me, I had insurance on the Raptor, so price was not a factor. For hill climbs the raptor was great until it got to much bite and then it would try to stand it on up. The Warrior is the same way but way more managable in that situation. I would buy the Warrior put your pipe of choice on it and take the front sprocket down to a 12 tooth. What ever you buy I do not think you will be disappointed, Both are great machines. Hope this helps. sorry it is so long.

Old 10-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Wow, a Warrior over a Raptor? I never thought I would hear that. I'm certainly not baggin on the Warrior though because I own a 03' and it is a very nimble machine. However the power difference is like night and day. The handling is also like night and day. As far as hill climbing, I rolled my Warrior backward down a very, very steep hill.....my fault because I underestimated the power band....it just wasn't there when I needed it most. I now have a 04' Raptor that I took up the same hill in second gear and shot 3' off the top of the lip...no sweat. I just piped it, jetted and added K&N and it is as fast as I need it to be. I ride trails alot too and I think the Raptor is a fine trail machine if we are still talking sport quads. The great thing about four strokes is they have very good manners when controlling the power band. I also think based on DFWATSON's size (6'2" at 210lbs.) the Raptor would be a more capable machine. This comes from a guy (me) who is 6'-0" at 225lbs. It would be nice if you had the chance to ride one first but in my opinion....raptor all the way if you have the extra cash.

Old 10-29-2003, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

The raptor is head and shoulders above the warrior for your situation. It has much more hp, but more importantly for the kind of riding you do, it has alot more TORQUE. I ride mine on trails as well as track, and I find it easy to handle, and it doesn't tire me at all(5'10" 155lbs.). Drop the c/s sprocket down to a 12t, and ride it a gear high, and its as smooth as a baby's behind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My vote definatley goes for the raptor.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Honestly I started out trail riding on a warrior and i love them to death. Changed to a raptor and trail road for a while, and it is a blast. Suprised no one bashed it on its tipiness yet tho. Once you get used to riding it, you wont tip. I think the raptor is worth the extra cash for what you are doing. You also seem like a bigger guy so the raptor would be better. Im sure you would have fun on either machine, but I think the rappy is more fun to ride.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

when i found mine.. everyone warned me.. "oh youll need an extended swingarm and extended axle and extend a-arms.. well what i bought was a 2002 raptor with a +2 durablue axle it has a pipe and the gytr skidplates.. i know the front rims are offset as well.. but not sure how much.. anyhow i have not had one single issue with the raptor being overly tippy or overly wheelie happy.. i mean its not my 88 250R by any shade but.. its got great power.. awesome trail manors and who cant love reverse.. ive ridden warriors and its just to old of a design in my book.. if i had it all to do over again id find a 250R with reverse (dream bike).. but to be honest i love the raptor and will not give it up for anything.. the only thing i didnt like about it was the gytr skidplate on the swingarm hung so low it would get hung up on everything.. so i put the cheesy plastic one back on it and good to go... so make your investment in a raptor and smile when you blow.. wait ROCKET by your buds with the warrior's and soak em in the trail as they wimp arround a puddle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

raptor........NO COMPARISON!!!!

Old 10-29-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Honestly, with you being 6'2" and 210lbs, the Raptor is the only choice. Don't bother with the warrior.

Quick Reply: Is a Raptor worth the extra cash.