Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is it really this easy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it really this easy?

I lost the keys to my Warrior the other day, and like a dumb@ss, didn't have an extra. I called the dealer and asked him about getting a replacement key(didn't want to rig on a toggle), and he reffered me to a local locksmith. I took him the ignition, and he made me a duplicate(and an extra!!!) for a total of $23.00 and some change, $5.00 a key and $13.00 to re-key.
O.K. here is the question, is it really that easy for someone who stole a quad to get new keys made? I was expecting them to ask for a VIN# or something that shows proof of ownership, which I had with me, but they didn't!!! I've heard that some ignitions have a VIN# in them for the locksmith to check to see if the quad is stolen, is that true? Any-one heard of this? Just wondering.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Most people are just out to make a buck. But I guess if they were to go "by the book" they would ask for a VIN #. But I doubt a theif would be that stupid to call the dealer and ask for a key. I mean comon. Theifs are more clever these days, arent they? But I guess the way u say it, it does seem this easy for anyone to get keys for our quads. Oh well. A spark plug wire disconnected from the sparkplug seems to fool even the best thiefs. Hell, Ive fooled myself before by doing that.

-Nick

Old 10-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, thieves are getting braver nowadays- I heard(can't remember where) that some car thieves take down the VIN# off the dash of a car they want to swipe, go to the dealer, and get keys made, then just noncholantly(sp?) walk up to the car, unlock it, and they're gone. Not sure if that would work though with many of the security systems that come with high dollar cars/trucks. Who knows!