ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   660 Grizzly (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/123671-660-grizzly.html)

trailride 11-07-2003 09:51 PM

660 Grizzly

if you found a mod you couold do to your grizz cheap and it would not only give you more top end but more torque on the bottom would you buy it . i agree that a 4x4 isnt a speed demon but is doesn't hurt to try unless you fall off.

colt77 11-07-2003 11:38 PM

660 Grizzly

Vakero,
I also had a water over the fenders and the exhaust submerged.......many times and nothing ever happened and nothing ever will......if you keep front fenders above the water and motor running..........well, I had the exhaust under the water and the motor died and nothing happened and nothing ever will...if the rear of the machine is lower then the front....etc..lol.
..all I want to say, give the guy a brake.

I am glad some of you guys had no problem with your Grizz. No vapor lock? There's no doubt in my mind, that this problem is an unfortuned design. It has nothing to do with an individual machine.

Silverbear,you will never have a vapor lock,your machine is a rocket.Only ATV's have troubles of this kind.

Joe

Vakero 11-10-2003 11:51 PM

660 Grizzly

By reading Moggers post it would seem to me that a Griz can plow through water fenders deep. How does a person get fender deep and keep the front end up at enough to keep the filter box from filling with water? Does he back into water rear fender deep then drive back out? A novice with a new Griz reading this post may be led to believe that a his new quad can be used as a sub. After all the post says fenders deep, not rear fender deep. A Griz can not drive through water both front and rear fender deep with out mods. Don't mean to bust chops, but come on, have you ever seen a hydro-locked engine? I have. I have worked on jet skis and atv's with them and they can be very expensive to repair. Any person here want to take a $7000+ machine and sink it on the word of some unknown thread writer? Let me hear SilverBear or Andy Bassham say it can be done, I don't think they will. Have you ever seen a young atv rider trying to pull a 650+ pound machine from the water while out in the back woods away from any help? Are you starting to get the picture?

wkola 11-15-2003 10:40 PM

660 Grizzly

I dont know much about the 660 grizzly, But I have a 00, and 01 grizzly yes the carb box is below the fuel tank and is sealed with orings ,but the factory vents the breather up around the top of the gas tank. So on that model you can take water over the fenders and your safe .

Rackman 11-16-2003 12:05 AM

660 Grizzly

one problem is the big lug tires when you give it in the water make the front float right up and the back end drops quite deep, if there is much lenght to the run you could have trouble with water running into the rear vent. the motor runs fine, and when you get out , drain it. and away you go.............

pstroud 11-22-2003 08:49 PM

660 Grizzly

YES, BUT THE VENT FOR THE BELT SYSTEM IS LOCATED UNDER THE REAR FENDER RIGHT BEHIND THE SEAT. I WILL VERIFY THAT THE GRIZZ WILL GO THRU SOME DEEP WATER NEVERTHELESS.

thomez 11-23-2003 03:44 AM

660 Grizzly

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Grizz is the best of the sport and utility worlds. Maybe you could call it the sportiest pure utility.... but there ain't a lot of sport in a Grizz. It's heavy, automatic, and has independant rear suspension. All of those take away from sport appeal. I'm not trying to hype what I own but the best of both worlds has to be the Wolv - much lighter, 5 speed, and solid rear. Power to weight is probably about the same (not torque, I'll agree - pulling power is in a different world) but as far as making you go, the Wolv is powered as well. Top speed matters very little but the 2 bikes are close in that respect. Not trying to be the bad apple that spoils the cheer on the Grizzly thread but just my .02 that it really isn't much sport in comparison to other bikes. A sport utility should include parts sport and parts utility, and the best combination of those features lies in the Wolverine.

Rackman 11-23-2003 12:18 PM

660 Grizzly

Maybe your right in the aspect that the grizzly is a sport utility. Most owners have them for working be it hunting or around the propertyhauling wood etc., then when time permits just cruising and having fun.
Yours in four wheelin
Rackman

PADZZ 11-23-2003 01:13 PM

660 Grizzly

Thomez...I'd say the Sportiest of the utes has to be the Prairie 700. When I'm hauling ass through the trails I have to look down and make sure I'm really on a Prairie and not on a Z-400 (well, maybe not, but you get the idea) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. It really handles and goes like a sport quad. For rocks and all day comfort though, the Grizz is THE machine.

thomez 11-23-2003 01:18 PM

660 Grizzly

Yeah, that P700 is hard to beat. Solid rear adds to the sport appeal and we all know that V-twin is a butt kicker. So maybe it is the sportiest pure utility. I'd probly agree with that.