Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee Modifications

Originally posted by: Jennifer
Port work is definitely the next thing to do. What domes are you running in the cool head? Biggest problem with getting a banshee to be competitive with the other sport bikes is not power, but getting the power to the ground instead of tearing the ground up. Where the 4 strokes power is more even mannered and the shee wants to scream like crazy. But port work, single carb, and lightened flywheel I enjoyed quite a bit on mine. Makes the banshee much more rideable in trails and tight stuff than it used to.
To be honest I purchased the bike last year and do not know what size domes it is running. I know what you mean about getting the power to the ground. I have been thinking about changing the Dunlop tires out for some HoleShots.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: CaptBags
Banshee18267, you have all those upgrades and, can't beat the YFZ's? I assume your talking about dragging? What do the YFZ's have done that your being beat? I'd look a little more into tuning/make sure your running perfect. Have you redone your pistons and, rings on that 5 year old Banshee??

You should be beating the stock YZF's and, i'd say still be right with if not edging to the piped ones on the dragstrip. My friend has the same setup except he has the T5's and, is a constant front runner against the YZF's. When they dip into the modded cams it is a different story.

Yes, I am talking about drag racing. Top end I have no problem beating the YFZ. It is in the short drag race where I loose it. I need more mid-range power to hang with the YFZ's. The YFZ I have been racing has had the cam adjusted, jetting and the baffle removed. There are plans to put a full exhaust system on it.

As for the piston work. I bought the bike 1 year ago and have not done anything to the top end. I would assume a compression check would help me determine if I am in need of new pistons.

I have thought about having the flywheel lightened.

I am not even sure what jets I am running. The Banshee motor is new to me and the dual carb's are a bit intimidating. With the modifications that I have listed what jets would be recommended? I have plans to modify my air box lid to be more free flowing.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

just get a zilla end of your problems

Old 11-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

Tires and traction are your biggest issue here. If your just running 300 ft drags try a lowering kit. Otherwise equal traction and equal riders on both well tuned machines, your banshee should win start to finish.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

He is trying to go faster, not slower. A zilla would be hindering his goals. LOL

A single carb isnt going to win you any drag races. Stick with your dual carbs.

Porting will help you a great deal, but power isnt where your losing the race (by the way your talking)

You need to hook that bike up, different tires, and lowering your bike will help you a great deal. Being quick is what wins races, not being fast.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Right now im getting all the port edges in my case radiused. Told me it wont help much, but hey why not while its off. Save stuff like that till you have to rebuild. Deffinetly work on your traction though. Lean how to work the clutch better on launch to keep it from spinning the tires and keep it it the power (as much as possible lol).

Old 11-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our bikes are still riders, and we run the radial Dunlop tires. You cant get a better hooking tire other than that and an Ohtsu radial. You can run them down to 2lbs and they wont come off the rim unless your doing some heavy powersliding or something like that. Tires can make a huge difference.