Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Jetting Help.. Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Jetting Help.. Please!

I hope this is correct or, the Jet kit was a useless buy? I could have got 2 separate jets for $5 a piece.

How does that Plug test go again?

Old 11-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

ride the bike..........killit.........pull the plug.......look at the color.....

tan is what you want.......black is rich and white is lean......

let us know

the kit is over priced but it does come with different taper needles.........basically it is useless.......I wish I would have just bought mikuni jets.....
live and learn....

Old 11-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

To use the jets you need the needles, so you might have to buy the kit just for the needles, but none of the jets in that kit will do you any good when its this cold out. I tried that 146 & 148 $hit when I put my Yosh on and I was WAAAY lean. Buy bigger jets and start at 170 & 175 and work down. I think after 150 they jump in 5's. It's getting cold here in Illinois.....don't want to melt it down because you're too lazy to change jets a few times.

I've got no box and I left mine rich at 165 & 170 needle 3rd clip all summer. (Too lazy to change jets.lol) That jetting is for about 65 degrees with a box and no lid. I plan on putting the box and lid back on for snow and mud riding, raising my needle to the 4th clip and reading a plug with the same jets. I may luck out and not have to rejet with the temp dropping while adding a box and lid.

Keep in mind that I don't read plugs by color but by the electrode.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

does anyone know where I can get mikuni jets?
I called my stealership and they said they can only get stock size jets.....it was a woman....go figure!
LoL

Old 11-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I put in the 148L and, 150R (biggest in the Dyno Jet Kit ). I'm running the ProFlow K&N w/ no lid and, UNI Crank Case Breather.

I have the needles installed that came w/ the Stage 2 Dynojet kit (seemed thinner that stock when side by side) along w/ the springs and, everything. I also went 3 turns out on the air screws like the directions said.

I rode it around a little and, it semed to be good during accel from bottom to top of revs but when i get off the gas it back fires and, sputters/pops. I tried putting the airbox lid on thinking that it was a little lean and, it seemed to run the same. What do you think? What do I try to get the backfire to stop? Am I close on the settings?

oh, and, i tried to see the collor of the pug but it looks like brand new... How long do i have to ride it to see the colors?

It is only 40 here today and, id like to get spot on w/ the jetting so i can run no lid in the summer and, put the lid on in the winter when it is cold and, runs leaner!

Old 11-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Didn't listen did ya?

Old 11-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptBags
Ok, I put in the 148L and, 150R (biggest in the Dyno Jet Kit ). I'm running the ProFlow K&N w/ no lid and, UNI Crank Case Breather.

I have the needles installed that came w/ the Stage 2 Dynojet kit (seemed thinner that stock when side by side) along w/ the springs and, everything. I also went 3 turns out on the air screws like the directions said.

I rode it around a little and, it semed to be good during accel from bottom to top of revs but when i get off the gas it back fires and, sputters/pops. I tried putting the airbox lid on thinking that it was a little lean and, it seemed to run the same. What do you think? What do I try to get the backfire to stop? Am I close on the settings?

oh, and, i tried to see the collor of the pug but it looks like brand new... How long do i have to ride it to see the colors?

It is only 40 here today and, id like to get spot on w/ the jetting so i can run no lid in the summer and, put the lid on in the winter when it is cold and, runs leaner!
I didn't realize that it was that cold where you are at....
try raising the needle to the 4th or 5th clip and see if that helps any in the mean time......

I would also call dynojet and order some larger jets....(2.00 bux a piece)
I had to order MUCH larger jets......
I would order 155/160/165/170
I don't see any way a piped and filtered raptor would run any higher than that........I could be wrong though!

Old 11-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try turning the mix. screws out another 1/4 turn if that doesn't do it you will need 25 pilot jets. But a little popping is OK.
Make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks, they'll cause it to pop and sputter on decell too.

Old 11-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Jetting isnt an exact science, more of a trial and error. If its popping and backfiring its lean on the bottom correct? By moving the clip on the needle down more would make it richer on the bottom and possibly fixing your problem? Its been a while since i've had to tamper with the needle clip. Someone can confirm/slap me in my face for what i have said?

Old 11-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I rode it some more yesterday Couple runs on the street. It actually seems to be pretty close (WOW, What a difference from stock).. I noticed a leak in the silencer to header joint so i tighten it. The pop on decell went away mostly (i need some sealant). I tried looking at the plug but it looks new (I put in a new one) besides a little black on the rim where the threads start. How long do you ride it until you can see the tip of the plug turning colors? I hear white is lean, brown is perfect and, black is rich?

It is strong all through accel, can i take it out riding in the trails w/o worry of screwing something up? Or, shoudl I keep going up and, down the street (short rides unitl i can get color on the plug?

Quick Reply: Raptor Jetting Help.. Please!