Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee pipes, what to get?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2000, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i have a 00' banshee in stock form and want to get pipes. i ride the sand, woods, desert etc... i have heard good things about the fmf fatty pipes with turbine core or power core silencers??? i've also heard toomeys don't have spark arrestors and that you have to get some ugly hush kit for them. have also heard paul turner pipes are good. i want to improve low end and mid range punch without sacrificing top end or even a little faster. just wanted some experienced owners opinions,,,thanks Erik.

Old 06-15-2000, 10:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Go with the FMF, if your on a budget. I bought the Banshee Power Package from Magic Racing for $570. THis included the FMF FAttys/Power Core 2, Boyesen 2 stage reeds, Reed spacer, and boost bottle. This package really woke my 99 up and I figure I won 80% of my races over the Memorial day Weekend. You cant even get the Paul Turners, Toomey, or LRD for that price, let alone the rest of the stuff. IF money is no object, go with the Toomeys or LRD (although you still are gonna need other performance mods if you wanna beat a similarly equipped banshee). I have a friend who had been talking all this smack about his Paul Turners and was giving me a hard time for ordering the FMF's, until of course I smoked him about 20 times. I will say this, that triple chrome plating looks AWESOME! His pipes look great still. Totally shiny. But then again, Chrome dont get you home...
RoostKing...

Yoou might want to go with a smaller front sprocket, it really helps the acceleration for very cheap...

Old 06-15-2000, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Just check the mags for pricing. I have found toomeys for 419 with jet kit filter airbox hole filters. That is cheaper than the FMF kit roost was talking about. You don't really need the reed spacers and boost bottle. They don't make any noticable change. Your best off just buying the pipes and silencers. Then getting a jet kit some place else if your on a budget. Replace the stock airfilter set up and get a K&N.

Old 06-15-2000, 03:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Im going to have to disagree with Dunepilot. I raced many owners of Banshees with just pipes, be it Toomeys, Lrd, Paul Turners, and FMF's over the Memorial day weekend and was able to pull at least a 2-3 quad lead on them up a 100 yard sand dune. Talking to them, most did not have anything other than pipes and a jet kit, and they lost. Something has to be making more power out of my Banshee. I attribute it to the Reed Spacers/reeds/boost bottle, which the other guys did not have. I am no super tuner, so I wont say it was tuning(although Im not completely unknowledgeable either) MAybe just reeds or just a reed spacer or just a boost bottle alone will not make much difference, but the entire package seems to make a noticeable difference. ITs your choice, but unless you want to be like a friend of mine with just Toomeys/jet kit who gave this ridiculous reply to getting beat "Yea, well i only LOST by 2 quad lengths" Umm ok, take your pretty chrome Toomeys and keep losing. Your choice I told him...

RoostKing...

Old 06-15-2000, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

What was your and your friends exact set up including tires, fuel, tire pressure, tread on tires, year of bike, hours on the bore, amount of experience with your bike. There are sooo many things that could have lead him to end up last that many times in a row. I know your bike is a 99 and maybe it's just time for your friend to rebuild his bike.

Old 06-15-2000, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My specific friends bike( the one who got waxed time after time) is a 99, the one with the Paul Turners on them. He was actually new paddles to my chewed up Scat track edges, he also has way more experience riding. Some of the other bikes that I was beating were 99's or 2000's with various pipes, but none that I could see were running a boost bottle or reed spacer so Im guessing we have roughly the same amount of time on them. . Im not saying this kit is the end all, be all of pipes, but the kit really is nice and inexpensive. Again, I dont think the litle parts like reed spacers, boost bottle or reeds seperately will make a big difference, but together, something must be happening. At least with the reed spacer you can physically see where they would help, by allowing more fuel/air to get into the combustion chamber past the reeds. I'll tell you one thing, My buddy who spent close to $700 for the pretty Paul Turners is wishing he would have skipped the chrome and went for the FMF kit!
Did anybody see the magazine article where they ran some of the quads that compete at Pikes Peak on a dyno right at the event. I think one bike had LRD's, 2 or 3 had the Toomeys, with another 2-3 running FMFS. The best performing Banshee was running the FMF's.. I figure these bikes are set up pretty similar being they are in the same class, so FMF must be doing something right...

RoostKing...

Old 06-15-2000, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

HEH,OVER MEMORIAL WEEKEND I DIDNT LOSE A RACE...HERE IS MY SETUP...97 BANSHEE SHAVED HEAD 50THO..TRINITY WORK POWER PISTONS,CARBON TECH REEDS,SPACERS,FMFS,POWER CORES,AIRBOX MODS ,REJETTED,12 TOOTH FR SPROCKET..ILL TELL YOU I HAVE A COUPLE MORE MIS.STUFF DONE BUT THIS COMBO IS PRETTY LEATHEL FOR A STOCK BANSHEE!!YES,THE EXTRAS DO MAKE A DIFF..MADPOWER

Old 06-15-2000, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

If you want great bottom and mid range power then get a 2 into 1. It will have about the same on top end. I have a Dyno Port 2 into 1 and a set of Boysean reeds and mine runs great. I would also reccomend getting a Pro Design filter kit. All of that will set you back around$580 that is for the Nickel finish on the Pipe. BUT if you want a top end pipe I would go with the FMFs or LRDs. I think the 2 into 1 is the best sounding pipe on the market today. I t sounds like a indy car. If you go with a 2 into1 you might not have to re jet( I didnt but i was running a little rich before i put it on).

Old 06-16-2000, 10:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

MadPower,
Sounds like you have a pretty good machine, but remember, its no longer stock!!! How do you like those Trinity Pistons? Im done buying Wiseco.

RoostKing...

Old 06-16-2000, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey how are the pro circuit pipes? no one talks about them and i also need pipes and i am ready to go with pro circuit, but then maybe fmf.

anyone know how pro circuit is?

Quick Reply: banshee pipes, what to get?????