Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sport/Utility cross breed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport/Utility cross breed?

I am looking for advice on what make and model would best suit my needs. I will be doind an equal amount of trail riding as work around my property as well as hauling deer out of the woods. I am looking for something with a good suspension and also good rack capabilities for carrying. I am a big guy 235lbs. so engine size/power is also a consideration. I believe a mid size 300 or 400 cc should work. Please help with suggestions on the best makes and models for this situation. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

I know this is a little larger cc's than you mention but I would Buy a Scrambler 500 for this situation. They are fairly fast,decient suspension better than most utilitys,Racks are availible, Swichable 4x4. I'm not usually a fan of Polaris (except snow machines) But If I had the needs that you do I would buy one of these.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Scramblers are great. Very comfortable and surprisingly fast for their size. I definitely recommend them. My brother has one and it's very easy to ride and heavy enough to plow over or through anything. If you get one though, make sure you get the 4x4, you'll end up wishing you had it in the long run. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

treestand, I know a guy that is selling his '03 scrambler 500 4x4 and even comes with a winch operated plow. 4,600 if you're interested, pm me for more info.!

Old 11-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

im actually quite fond of my Xplorer 400 4x4... its big like an average utility but runs about 60 stock and is very fun to play on... it may not be the sportiest thing in the world but its fairly quick and it will climb anything... and i mean ANYTHING!! highly recomend them, u can get a used one cheap..

Old 11-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had the same prob you have i do trail riding and i needed 4wd for the really neasty stuff, My scrambler is great for its size i really like it, they will go about 60-65 mph stock the 4wd works really well i have yet to get stuck! At first the clutch kinda sucks but a clutch kit and a pipe will really wake it up, but their still good in stock form!!
Scramblers have a good all around mix of sport and utility you can get work done and still have fun all on the same quad!!!!
If you want 4wd , be abel to put racks on it, lots of power, and a perty fast trail quad the scrambler is for you...

Hope this helps
TrailRider

Old 11-11-2003, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

get at Grizzly. It has AWESOME suspension, it is FAST, has a ton of towing/rack capacity.

Pretty hard to beat, IMO.

We replaced our Wolverine with a Grizzly, never looked back. To me, due to it's power and ride, it is just as sporty as the Wolvy was

Old 11-11-2003, 01:37 AM
Range Rover

Get a Wolverine!!!

Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Get a Wolverine and add a pipe and it should be fast enough for you. If you have more money though and don't mind not shifting your own gears (25% fun reduction) then get a Grizzly 660 they are powerhouses!

Old 11-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

The Wolverine does a good job for me I'm a pretty good size boy also. I can haul more than the rack capacity states. I just turn up the pre load on my shocks when I'm gonna haul heavy loads. To me they are easier to ride and handle better than the larger 4x4s. The front rack may be a little smaller than say a Grizz or Kodiak but the rear is about the same size. As the Pro racer Mike Pendland said of the Wolverine once..." The Wolverine might not be the best at anything but it does everthing well."
Just my $.02 worth of personal experience.

Quick Reply: Sport/Utility cross breed?