Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Raptor in the making?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Raptor in the making?

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard the rumors of yamaha making a smaller displacement and better handling raptor sometime soon?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Why would they make something too compete with their own YFZ? THat will never happen.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yup....they already have it....it's the Raptor 80.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

But really, I could understand wanting to improve on the handling...especially the tippyness of it. But why would they want to make a smaller displacement? Isn't that what the YFZ is for?

Anyway.....I dunno.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

YFZ is for more racing purposes. They supposedly want a better trail machine something like the predators.

Old 11-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

why change perfection?

Old 11-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thats all we need, more tranny bombing quads in the 400+cc class. No point in making a smaller raptor, people have plenty of quad choices through yamaha allready, the R&D isn't worth it

Old 11-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

I have not had a chance to ride the YFZ yet, but if it handles like people are saying, then I think it would be great(not likely though) if Yamaha would stick a dual cam head and single flatslide carb on the raptor motor, and then stick it in the YFZ frame. They could save money by making one frame and having two quads, one for the totally hardcore mx people and the other YFZ660 for the trail riding/cross country (I sure like this reverse)kind out there..............Just my thoughts

Old 11-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Change/update....hahahaha, come on this is Yamaha we are talking about. I love my raptor and think that the YFZ is awesome but come on, The banshee, blaster, and warrior all came out like 15 years ago and look how many "updates/changes" they have gone thru.....they get "Bold New Graphics" every couple of years and thats it. Wider front/back is the best thing they could change about the raptor, I just dont see it happening anytime soon......I dunno maybe the new YFZ will usher in a new thought process at yamaha ATV division where they will do updates every 3-4 years, Im just not going to hold my breath for it.

A better question is why do the MX bikes get so much attention with R&D, advertizing, and factory support when it accounts for such a small percentage of their sales. ATV sales for all manufactures are way more then the dirtbikes but the bikes get all the attention, why is this? To me quad mx is just as exciting to watch as bike mx. Does anyone know the sales numbers for comparing yamaha dirtbikes vs. yamaha sport ATVs (blaster, warrior, banshee,wolverine, raptor, and yfz), I have a hunch that just yamaha sport quads sale more then all off yamaha dirtbikes (mx,trail, dual-purpose) in the USA.

Old 11-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

see now ive heard... that the 660 motor is from a euro dirt bike. and there is a new version of it out thats smaller but still 660... soo? maybee they will just lose a bit of height in the frame and keep it the same monster?

Old 11-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kraw
why change perfection?

LMFAO! Perfection doesnt involve tippyness and gernading transmissions!

hahahahaaa I just found that hilarious...perfection... haha

-Nick

Quick Reply: New Raptor in the making?