Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

i have some blaster rebuilding questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have some blaster rebuilding questions

I'm rebuilding my blaster, anyone who know's two strokes or blasters, could you help?
I'm undecided on what piston to put in it. I was going to put a wiseco piston in it, but the i heard about the Vito's super stock piston. The Vito's super stock claims to give you about 5hp on top end, while the wiseco piston's dont. what's the difference in the vito's piston to give you that much power?
the wiseco kit is like 65$ while the vito's is like 140$. is the vito's piston going to give me alot more power like it says? as apposed to the wiseco pro lite?

Old 11-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

as a builder i like the vitos pistons better. the superstock of course. they are much stronger and give nice gains by raising the compression. i have used these in every banshee and blaster i have ever put together and swear by them. any other questions i would be glad to help you with on this rebuild. while in that engine i would check the crank, rod, and bearings for any play. and if you want a bit more power also ship the head out to be milled, and clean up the ports a little bit. that should give you some decent gains.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

would a pro lite piston from wiseco give over a 2hp inscrease?

Old 11-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

it wouldnt really give any noticeable difference. i dont like wiseco piston to be honest vitos is #1, and oem is #2 if you ask me.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Wiesco is really a good piston. used them on everything except for on my blasters. I dont use vitos also and works good. IMO the only time you should use OEM is when your rebuilding a twin because the OEM pistons are EXACTLY the same. Right down to millionth of an inch.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

The reason the Vito's kit can claim the horsepower increase is that the piston has a dip in it where it passes by the exhaust port. This changes the port timing, in the same way as raising the exhaust port would. That's an old dirtbiker trick.

That is the difference, none of the other pistons have this feature.

Old 11-20-2003, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

so your saying it's worth it to spend the extra 140$ on the vito's super stock, right

Old 11-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

Buy the wiseco piston (they make Vito's pistons anyway) Do the porting in the cylinder NOT THE PISTON CROWN as this will give you port timing but really messes up the sqwish band.
The only trouble with forged pistons is alot of people don't warm the engine properly. A forged piston expands more then a cast piston. Also give it 0.0005" more clearance rec is 0.002" go to 0.0025"-0.003"
A stk blaster makes 15hp on my dyno, my trail packages make 32hp. (std bore on pump gas) all use wiseco pistons. My race blaster (only built one and don't have hp number. I put 18" mx Holeshots on and spins them on the dyno but I raced it two weeks ago and won the 400 mod class. Beat 400EX the we built with 45 rwhp.
Hope this helps
Dynoray

Old 11-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

forged pistons last longer than cast ones right?
could i take the wiseco piston and put a dip in it where it passes by the exhaust port ? is that possible?

Old 11-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

yes forged pistons are stronger, no don't put the dip in the piston. Raise the exhaust port instead.

Quick Reply: i have some blaster rebuilding questions