Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

AV fuel in a quad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AV fuel in a quad?

It's a dual octane rating 100/110, I haven't really figured out what that means, but it's 100 octane lean and 110 rich. I run it with a high compression head requiring a 108 motor octane fuel with no problems.

Old 11-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BeerSmurf
" It also has a lower combustion temp. which mean detonation in a motor not designed for that kind of fuel. "

I don't know where you got this.

Avgas has better anti detonation properties than pump gas.
Unlike auto gas, Avgas will be consistent from batch to batch.
Avgas keeps longer than auto gas.
Avgas smells better than car gas.
Cool blue color.

However

Avgas is more expensive than auto gas so why spend the money if you don't need the extra octane?
Avgas contains lead, so you do not want to use it in any motor with an O2 sensor.
Avgas doesn't vaporize as easily as auto gas, which helps prevent vapor-lock but may make starting more difficult in very cold weather.

I have run Avgas in many vehicles with no problems.
ATC 200X
ATC 350X
ATC 250R
KLR 650
TRX 350
KFX 400
XR 100
NX 650
Blaster
Banshee
'67 cougar
I agree with 100% of "BeerSmurf"! I also hear that avgas will break down 2 stroke oil faster after it is mixed. I hear the rule of thumb is do not use it mixed after 1 week. Higher octane = harder to burn = less detination = burns cleaner. Have a friend with a BUILT Harley that runs avgas and his exaust is so clean you would think is never ran! You can over do it though!

Old 11-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

SWEET!
I just called my local municipal airport and they sell 100 octane AV fuel for $2.65 a gallon. That sure beats the price of race gas!

Old 11-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get AVGAS; not jet fuel!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

I get mine for 1.80.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

thats why i was wondering... ALOT cheaper.. but i am getting a mixed answers.. some say no, some say yes.. a lil confused..
maybe you can answer my question of what octane to run with ratios. 11.1 and 12.1

Old 11-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

Unless you're high running octane race gas now, AND NEED THE HIGHER OCTANE, you will not get better performance or more power from it. Higher octane offers one advantage, less likely to pre-detonate. So, if you're not detonating on premium, you won't detonate with race gas but you won't make more power either. Actually, being harder to burn, you may have a less complete burn, and make LESS power. Same thing w/ regular gas. My Jeep doesn't need premium, and I have nothing to gain by using it, so I run regular. However, my Porsche MUST run premium, or it will detonate, so it does benefit from high octane.

BUT if you run high octane, since it is less likely to pre-detonate, you can run a higher timing advance which will make more power.

So...don't run high octane alone; it'll do nothing. But if you want to run it, then you can run higher compression and/or advance timing which will make more power.

Colby

Old 11-20-2003, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

"maybe you can answer my question of what octane to run with ratios. 11.1 and 12.1"

It is not possible to directly correlate a given compression ratio to a specific octane rating.

Many factors affect required fuel octane rating.
Combustion chamber shape, piston shape, bore diameter, RPM, mixture/jetting, temperature, timing, manifold pressure, engine load, etc. all effect the onset of detonation.

You are going to need to see what works for your particular application.

I wish there was an easy answer for you.

If you engine builder has experience with your setup he would be the best source.

Old 11-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i was looking to put a high compression piston in while the engine was in peices.. but i am cheap and i dont wanna hafta run race gas.. not to mention its hard to get up here unless you wanna pay 8 bucks a gallon.
thank fer the help.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Is AV gas also known as turbo blue? A couple years ago, people could get it at Citgo in my town. I think turbo blue was 100 octane.

RoughRider01

Quick Reply: AV fuel in a quad?