Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need more top end

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need more top end

well couple weeks ago i installed a new front sprocket and went down to a 12tooth sprocket. after riding it at the dunes i think i lost alot of top end speed, i knew i would lose some top end but i lost alot, at least seems like i did i god spanked from a v force when before i would beat him with a 13tooth sprocket. wondering if i go up on the rear if that will give me back my top end speed??? would my stock chain still fit if i got a new rear sprocket and also keep the 12t in the front??

what else can i do that is on the cheaper side to get my top end back??? i will be buying a pipe here in the next few months but bnot sure what one has th emost horsepower gains, i am buying a full pipe!!! I will also be rejetting the thing also!

thanks for any help!

Old 11-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

A lot of guys run a 14 tooth front sproket once they jet and pipe a raptor. You might try that. I am running a 14 tooth on mine.

Old 11-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

i like having my low end power!!!! i like to race at comp hill in florence and so i want the low end power but still have a good amount of top end speed!!!!

Old 11-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

In a perfect world, everyone would have tons of low end power and lots of top end speed, but it just doesnt work. For comparison, I run a 17 tooth front sprocket and a 40 tooth rear. I have zero low end power, but top end to the moon, and thats the way I like it. Maybe you should try running the 14 after u pipe and jet it...

-Nick