Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Starting Problems - Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems - Any ideas?

I purchased a new Yamaha Rhino (side by side) a few weeks ago and it starts (both cold and hot) great and runs great...

EXCEPT after it has been put on a trailer and towed. I trailer this thing to the duck camp and back and when I try to get it off the trailer, it takes forever to start (afraid I will run the battery down). Once it does start, I have to let it sit and idle for 5 minutes and if I don't, it will sputter and cough then kill.

I have tried starting it with choke and without. I looked on the bike (and in the manual) for a fuel valve shut-off and one does not appear to exist. My yamaha jet skis seem to have the same problem when you trailer them with the fuel valve on. I am thinking this thing may be getting flooded in transit. Again, it starts and runs great all them time provided it has not been sitting on a trailer.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks......

Old 11-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure that turn the fuel off when trailering. What typicaly happens is that the trailer will bobble and this motion will cause the needle and seat to bounce around.. actually causing the bowl to overfill. This can often lead to the fuel running back into the air filter.. at least I experience this on a buddies warrior. Next time this happens to you, take the air cleaner off and see if it smells like fuel or is actually wet.

Good practice anyway to shut the fuel off when trailiering.

Hope this helps.

Ride On.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Man, I have to remember to finish reading the entire message before jumping in with an answer.

Maybe you need to put a fuel on/off valve in place.

Sorry for the redundancy.. I guess great minds think alike? lol

Old 11-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

95Wolverine....thanks for the advice. I have a call into the dealer because the manual does not mention a fuel shut off valve and I cannot find one. I am hoping and praying Yamaha remembered to put one on the bike. My Yamaha jet ski manual makes specific mention of this (shutting the fuel off before hauling). My Grizzly manual says to shut off the fuel when you store it so I know Yamaha should know better and should mention it in the Rhino manual. Maybe they forgot.

Will let you know....

Old 11-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe the bouncing up and down caused the floats to stick. I don't know, just a thought.