Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

slime or tire repair kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 02:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slime or tire repair kit?

Slime wont seal a sidewall. Last year I hit a big chunk of concrete at about 40mph and put a 1" long gash in my sidewall of my old Titan 489AT's. Needless to say my ride was over. When I got home, I took the tire to my old Auto Tech class. I took the tire off the rim and put (4) bias ply tire patches on the gash, 2 on the inside and 2 on the outside. This was only going to be a temparary solution to allow me to still roll on all 4 until I got my new tires. I was suprised that my temp solution actually worked. I help air just fine until the day those tires came off.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

I had a pinhole in one of my brand new razr's too. I figured it was leaking either around the rim or on the stem, but testing those revealed no leaks. I had to take the tire off and put it in my son's kiddie pool. That's where I found the small little air bubbles issuing from a pinhole in one tire near a tread. I didn't use "slime". I picked up some goop at Canadian Tire which did the job perfectly.

I've heard the same comment about slime and similar products destroying rims, though I wasn't sure if it was specifically aluminum rims or just rims in general. Too late now!! Hehe.

Old 11-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Slime is corrosive over time, and can even cause tyre wobble at high speed. Stick with plugs!

Old 11-27-2003, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound dumb, but are stock rims on a warrior or anything aluminum?
I just never knew if they were or not.

Old 11-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and you said about my tires not being seaded on the bead?...well the air held for a week then I was going riding and I noticed it.

guess its still possible though...

Old 11-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

The stock rims on a warrior are aluminum. I side with plugs over slime. I prefer not to have that stuff sloshing around in my tires versus a clean, low weight plug.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

I would NOT use the slime. I used it in my raptors tires and it wobbled so bad i could not get out of 3 gear. My buddy has it in his warrior it wobbles bad when you get moving very fast. I do like the plugs and they have sealed every hole i have ever had.

Old 11-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Slime is good for the slower vehicles beacuse anything above 70mph will through the balance off

Old 11-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

I find my Warrior shakes bad over 50mph. I had just thought it was due to the mounting of the razrs .. it did occur to me that it was the slime, but basically dismissed it .. but I guess now I know .. might have to get the tires broke down, cleaned and put a plug in, if I can find the dang hole again!!

Old 11-27-2003, 02:02 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

“Nubbin” who started this thread has a 350 4x4 so he will not be going over 70 anytime soon. Also between trail heads at Hatfield McCoy on some stretch of back road I was following a Prairie 650 in our group (I put him in the lead because he had a speedometer). Well there was one point he pegged the throttle to see how fast he could go and of course that was like a rabbit running away from a dog, so I had to play too. I pegged the V-Force throttle and shot by him, don’t know how fast I was going but I’m sure it was over 70 (he was topped out at 65 mph indicated). Anyway I didn’t notice any serious vibration (and I’m slimed all the way around). Slime is a good application for me (especially for the Grizzly) because I do a lot of riding on land that has a lot of overgrowth (blackberries, wild rose, locust and thornapples). Thorns in the tires are pretty common and slime fixes all of that. However on any “away from home” trip we have a compressor and plugs (lots of them) with us for a security measure and they’ve come in very handy on multiple occasions. Slime is only effective for smaller holes though. Also I would think that once you have a plug in your tire, having slime in your tires too would probably contribute more to a high speed out of balance condition (causing vibration) because some of it will most likely adhere to the part of the plug that’s inside the tire giving it more weight…

Quick Reply: slime or tire repair kit?