Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz450 gytr swingarm skidplate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 gytr swingarm skidplate?

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has had the pleasure of going threw 3 sets of skidplates as I have, at almost $150 a pop! I have full skidplates (a-arm, body, and swingarm). The rest of them work awesome, but the swingarm ones suck. Yeah, they do there job, but you break them off everytime you hit any little thing in the trail. These thing are crafted rather well, and are quit strong......but having them so rigid and strong makes the bolts the weakest link. I keep shearing off the bolts on the sprocket guard.......having never felt hitting anything at all. Infact, the last one I broke was in the snow, where there really is nothing to hit, and still it broke off!
Anyways, just wondering if I am the only one? I was thinking about using some better bolts like grade #8 or #9, but then you got to worry about shearing off the skidplate mounts on the underside of the swingarm. I am almost considering going back to plastic, as atleast it will absorb an impact. And, if you break off a plastic one, it doesnt cost anything to replace. Thats just me though, and my bitterness of loosing 3 of them now and spending almost $500 on swingarm skidplates!

Old 11-28-2003, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

Well, since no one else will confess.....here's my sorted tale...

I have bought and installed all sorts of GYTR stuff on my bike. I have been very happy with the design and heavy duty construction of the items. I put the aluminum GYTR skids on my bike and after the first ride took them off and ordered a full width type. The chain side had dented at the front and the white plastic slider was pushed up tight against the chain. The disc brake side was also dented, but hadn't interferred with the disc. I was to say the least, disappointed!! I tried to straighten the chain side and ended up breaking the bolts. They were easy to get out of the swingarm, but what a pain. I'm hoping the new one will last and work like it is supposed to.

Good luck with yours!!

PH

Old 11-29-2003, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

I've broke or severly bent the swing arm bolts on my GYT_R swinger skid. It is the weak point in the swinger skid.

I've talked to one guy that drilled out the holes in the swing arm and put larger diamter bolts through to provide a bit more durability.

I don't know if a full 1 piece would be any better than the GYT-R 2 piece.

I just ordered 4 skid plate bolts for replacment as I seem to go thru them quickly.. haven't lost a skid yet though.

Old 11-29-2003, 02:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Umm...your bolts could be too tight. My first bolts on the skids were too tight and they broke. Like to never got them out of the fittings.

Old 12-01-2003, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

I've been using a torque wrench to install mine to 7lbs (I think that is what the manual says)