Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Youth ATV size ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Youth ATV size ???

Hi All.

I'm considering getting my 11 year old daughter an ATV for Xmas. I was considering the 80 class machines and saw a 'like new' '98 Yamaha Badger 80 today for $1200. I rode it and to be honest with you I can't imagine her using it for more than 2 days with out being bored stiff. Is it just this model that's slow and not powerful or is that a symptom of the 80s/90s in general???

Do you guys and gals think she could handle a machine like a Blaster, or is it too big?? If too big, are there any compromises in between that won't bore her to death in 2 days.

I was actually really surprised that the Badger was such a dog. When hitting 3rd, it just about died, but in all fairness, I do weigh 230, but still, it seemed like it had no power, and she undoubtedly could not keep up with any kind of larger machine.

What's a father to do when the kid is an inbetweener like this???

Thanks for your input.

REVHIGH

Old 12-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

if she has no experaince with a 4wheeler and shes 11 the blaster would prolly be to powerful and complex. suzuki 's 80 is pretty quick mini i heard so let her try that. PS. any mini is goin to feel slow to an adult. maybe let her drive it and see how she feels.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That's a tough one!

The Suz. LT80 is IMO the best quad out there for kids to learn on. . . your daughter is at an age where the LT80 won't be enough for her for long either!

You may be better off looking at an automatic. The Polaris Trail Blazer 250 is fairly quick and easy to drive (auto with reverse.) I don't know how big your daughter is but the trail-boss may be a little heavy. Also look at the Bombardier Rally. This is a good entry level ATV.

Your daughter isn't ready for a full sport model (without any riding experience). The Blaster is real quick but, there are a lot of gears and that two-stroke power can come on way to quick for a newbie.

The Honda 250EX is a great option too and depending on her size and where you ride the 300 may work.

If she will be on mostly packed surfaces the lower displacement or automatics will be better for her. If you are only riding in the sand or real loose stuff she will need a bit more power than you might think she needs.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

man if u think the 300ex is easy imk 14 and i couldn't figure it out!!! if i wer eu amn i'd hold off for another year or 2 cuz you'll end up with a 1200$ quad u cna't sell and she/he''ll want a faster quad but it's your money i'd save moeny for a bigger quad maybe honda300 or warrior u know it's just ideas

Old 12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

YAMAHA breeze

Old 12-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm not gonna go with an 80/90. Much too fast of an outgrow situation. What's a good calm (4stroke) 200/250/300 that's automatic (at least the clutch). I want to buy quite old, maybe mid 90's so I can sell after awhile without losing a lot, then get what we really need.

Any suggestions???

Old 12-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Honda 250ex sounds like the perfect quad for her.

-Eric-

Old 12-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

get the 250 it's manual shift auto clutch i think

Old 12-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

have you looked at the Yamaha Breeze 125... its a automatic and has reverse,
headlight/taillight and full floor boards.. the suspension is prety good and has
a throttle limiter to throttle down the power on it untill they can get use to it..
but the plastic is a bit outdated. This is what we will be giving our son this xmas..

Old 12-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

the badger is the same as the raptor 80. My son ,who is 5 , has a raptor 80, i told my wife we will be lucky if he gets 5 years before he needs something bigger. he shifts it good and can run wide open throttle in third gear with no problem . it an awesome little starter quad and soon my 3 year old daughter who is riding an lt 50 will get his. I have a z250 which i love but i think he will be ready for it within 3 years or so.then i can get a newer and bigger quad. in fact my son rides my dads 350 rancher by himself , but that has electric shift .. My buddy bought a blaster for his 9 year old and he did fine , they just need to take there time .

Quick Reply: Youth ATV size ???