Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Look please !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look please !!

OK so I'm looking for a used ATV, one I could get for under $2500
I'm looking for something sporty and something fast. I'd like to have reverse.
I ride in trails and fields usually, the trails are windy and hilly so we usually don't get above 30, avergae speed I'd say is 20 MPH. We have some decent sized hills out there too. At the field I can max out my LT230 on the straights.

I REALLY like the Banshee and have looked at a few of them but haven't ridden one. I hear about their lack of bottom end, how bad exactly is it?
I also hear about how often people have to rebuild them, any truth to that?

Any tips or suggestions as to good ATV's would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Look please !!

What part of NC are you in.

Old 12-30-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Look please !!

Well man first off Banshees don't have reverse and a Banshee isn't that great of a trail quad. People that have to rebuild them real often probably don't know how to ride them correctly, the only thing that should need replaced every 6 months or whenever on a 2 stroke is the rings. Oh yeah a stock banshee might not have a lot of bottem end, but that's the same on all stock 2 strokes, but when you hit 2nd or 3rd then the powerband kicks in and then it feels like a rocket ship taking off.
Just My opinion though

I would recommend a 300EX because they are just about as fast as warriors and Honda is known for their handling and suspension builds. Not saying that i dislike Warriors completely it's just that i rode a warrior and i feel that the suspension and handling isn't all that great. Plus both quads have reverse and are excellent woods machines, the only thing that is a real big difference is that the Warrior has a 6th gear, but the 300EX stills keeps up with it if not beats it.

good luck choosing

Old 12-30-2003, 12:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default Look please !!

lol yeah that powerband feels like my friends washer whe nthat thing hits spin cycle( 2nd or 3rd gear) it takes off( sounds) liek a rocket..

Old 12-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Look please !!

I'd have to say to try to find a used 300EX too. I bought one new in '93 and loved it! It was consistently quicker than the Warriors I rode with through the woods, jumped and landed better, and did just about everything better. The Warrior would beat it on the old railroad beds going from one riding area to the next, but that was about the only area I'd say it was better, top speed. I put a pair of 22" Mud Machines on the rear and it would go through the slop with the 4x4's, just had to keep the momentum goin'.

Old 12-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Look please !!

Originally posted by: Foxracin
What part of NC are BOTH of ya'll from? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm from Salisbury, NC. About 40mins. north of Charlotte off of 85N

As for the Banshee. I really don't think your going to find a quality Shee for under $3000. If you do its going to be an older model, that may very well have alot of hidden maintinance. I'd reccomend spending atleast $3000 for a used Shee, and between $1500 and $2500 for a 300ex.

Old 12-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Look please !!

Originally posted by: Flynbryan
Originally posted by: Foxracin
What part of NC are BOTH of ya'll from? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm from Salisbury, NC. About 40mins. north of Charlotte off of 85N
Im from Oakboro do you know where thats at?

Old 01-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Look please !!

Hey guys I'm in Indian Trail NC

Old 01-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Look please !!

For the type of riding you're doing you need a 4 stroke not a 2 stroke.