Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor carb removal?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor carb removal?!

I've never had to work on my Raptor until now. I need to remove the carbs to clean them out. I've removed all the obvious fittings, but I don't know how to remove the throttle cable housing and the choke cable. I've opened up the throttle housing, disconnected the cable, and loosened the 2 screws that bolt the housing to the carb body, but the throttle housing will not pull completely away. It will loosen up, but stays connected. What do I need to do? Also, as I mentioned, how do I disconnect the choke cable? Photos or an exploded view would REALLY help, if someone has those. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There's a plastic nut that holds the choke cable to the carburator body. It's a 12mm un bolt that and the choke will slide out. The throttle cable, you take the cover off (3 screws) then with your finger turn the throttle which loosens the cable and pull the cable retainer out and tyhe cable is then free. Where the cable comes into the carb there is a inch or so long section that you can get a #8 wrench on it and a small lock nut (8mm) loosen those 2 and unscrew the longer nut off the carb and then you can pull the cable out of the carb.

Old 12-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

Hey, I worked on my nephew's- Leave the throttle connector on there. The choke un screws from the body #12 mm wrench pulls out -be carefull of the little o-ring on the end. When putting it back a little oil or wd-40 will help. might as well jet it while you have them off!!!!

Old 12-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin has it right.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hey I unbolted the 12mm nut for the choke but its not coming out. I see a rusty spring and the choke cable but its not coming out when I pull. Do I pull harder or is there another step im missing?

Old 12-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

SPray some WD40 in there and pull harder.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] And yet another victim of the rusted choke spring syndrome. You'll need to use a little more force. After you get the plunger out inspect it, the needle and the "o" ring for rust, corrosion, and/or damage. Also inspect the inside walls of the plunger tube. Yamaha sells a replacement kit that includes a new spring, piston, needle, "o" ring, and cap for around $21. If you're like me and everyone else I've talked with, after you clean everything up you will more than likely only need the spring. You can get a package of replacement compression springs from Home Depot for around $1.50. If you do a search, I gave the replacement size in an earlier forum.

Good Luck!

Old 12-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes mrMonk. Go to the Yamaha dealer and buy the updated version of the choke cable.

The updated cable is: 5LP-26331-00-01 $20.88

The plunger, spring assembly part # is :5GH-1410A-00-00 $21.73 This gets you the new spring, plunger, plastic nut, O-ring, rubber boot.

The home depot method as mentioned before will be less expensive if you can find the right tension spring etc.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Yah, thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunatel I'm screwed. I pulled harder like everyone said. The wire came out, the plunger stayed in. The plunger is broken, sealed inside the tube. It won't come out. I even took it to a buddies shop and he couldn't get it out. Short of dissassembling the carb and drilling it out the carb is shot. The air adjustment screws are also sealed, they won't budge at all. And a new carb from Yamaha is $470 unless yall know a cheaper place that sells new carbs.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

damn dood that sucks!feel for ya[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Raptor carb removal?!