Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sparks Banshee Porting

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparks Banshee Porting

I was thinking of sending my cylinders to Sparks Racing for some Duning Portwork. Does anybody have, or know somebody that has had their Yamaha Banshee Ported and Polished by Sparks Racing? If so, how were the resuts? I know that he builds some kick *** 250R's and 4-strokes, but I have not seen any Banshees modded by Curtis.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

Why not Allen Knowles w/CT?? He did my 370 LR and shee scoots!! The turn-a-round was bout 2.5 months, but I was working alot so it did not matter anyway...... From right off idle along w PLENTY of over rev I am happy with her!!
Running a pro-design head w/17cc domes, MX port, blaster pistons, CT MX pipes, and a few other nice little gadgets...... I did a good bit of research for a reputable builder, and for the $$, I think dat Ol' Mr. Knowles IZ DA MAN!

Old 01-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder the same thing about Sparks doing Banshees. At one time, his website had Powervalve Banshee cylinders that he was supposed to be working on and they were supposed to end up around 530 cc. I wonder if someone else maybe paid him off not to enter that part of the market?

Daren

Old 01-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

I wonder the same thing about Sparks doing Banshees. At one time, his website had Powervalve Banshee cylinders that he was supposed to be working on and they were supposed to end up around 530 cc. I wonder if someone else maybe paid him off not to enter that part of the market?
I wonder if someone else maybe paid him off not to enter that part of the market?[/

Why would someone else pay Curtis Sparks not to enter this particular market?? I remember him from the late 80s' and early 90s' with his 4-strokes, I did not even knew he messed with 2-strokes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Why not just send your motor to one of the major 2-stroke builders? There are plenty of them, just do your research and see what their motors have done in the past at some of the major events..... aka-0-->>reliability/performance ratio.... Talk to a few of the builders and feel them out....... This is how I made my choice as to who redid my motor, before I sent it somewhere and spent some serious 'chedda', I had to do my research in order to make my wife happy!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

We all know that there are plenty of Banshee engine builders out there. I have owned two Banshees which were modded by Trinity. Both of them performed very well and held up great.

But, I'm still curious as to why Curtis Sparks Racing would have advertised that they were working on 530 Powervalve Banshee cylinders, and then one day, they disappear forever. Maybe someone else wanted to be the premier distributor of those particular cylinders? Maybe Curtis didn't feel they would be reliable enough to put his name on it? I don't know what the situation was, but I would like to know. If I were to build another Banshee, and if I chose to use a builder besides Trinity, I would most likely have used Sparks. He has a very good reputation and there is no denying that!

And, if I were a 4 stroke engine builder, I might consider trying to pay him not to go to 4SW! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Why dont you go with one of the big boys like Brad Tyson or Dan Hull or K&T performance or patriot racing, Holeshot racing, Luke's, etc?

Old 01-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

tony doukas is one of the most respectable shee bilders thats who i would send mine too

Old 01-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, I hear good things of him, and rudy kurtz over at port magic

Old 01-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

TDR works magic with banshees!

Old 01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

hey daren420, yeah i remember seeing that link on the sparks website too, but now it does not show them. The reason i thought i would go with Sparks also is that i am originally from the same city as him, Bakersfield, CA. and I could just go and drop my cylinders off when i visit the family. I'm due on the waiting list next month. I called them over a year ago to put my name on the list. Since the wait was so long at the time, I didn't get into details about the porting , justed asked them if they ported Banshees and they said yes, so i would call them back when the time was near. ( I was in no hurry at the time since my top end was still fresh) I'm just thinking if he could make a 4-stroke run like a *****, he should be able to make a shee scream, but i have yet to see a "SPARKS BANSHEE". Thanks for the replies guys.

Quick Reply: Sparks Banshee Porting