Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Painting a frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2000, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i said screw it and i'm just keeping my blaster, now to get it cleaned up.

now i need some thoughts on frame painting.

I don't really want to spring for powder coating, No one around here does it.

I was thinking, I could totally sand blast the frame, put on a coat of primer, and then spray several coats of paint, and get a few cans of spray on clear coat. How would that hold up?

any thoughts appreciated

Old 06-26-2000, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

AAfter up sand blast it you should look for cracks or stress points in the frame.

Old 06-27-2000, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Podwercoating is the way to go i got my frame and a bunch of assorted parts done for a little less than $200. Krylon is ok but after a year of riding the bike will look the same. Krylon or spray paint chips easy. I had my bike podwercoated for about 5 years now and it still looks like it was done yesterday. Look around for a podwercoater i found 2 in my area that were not listed in any phone books

Old 06-27-2000, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider

don't do what the kid with the blaster that I got did and justr take some gray spray paint and paint the whole thing.including the wheels.I KNOW U are smarter than this.I WILL have pics of how crapp it lokks tommoorw other than the wheels and frame being painted and the broken grab bar it doesn't look to bad.

Old 06-27-2000, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

maybe i will just get it powder coated, but that's just going to add to my cost of my bike.

I want to get it done a bright yellow. Maybe i can search an online yellowpages thing...

I figured the spray on clear coat would help keep it from chipping.

Old 06-27-2000, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

The trick for powder coating is to find a place that will just through you frame in with another job. I got my Banshee frame and swing arm done for $45 and it turned out totally awesome. I sand blasted it with all the bolts in it that I wanted coated and then filled the steering stem bearing bore with aluminum tape and trimmed it. I did the same on the swing arm pivot since the bearings were new and I did not want to wast them. You might be a little more limited by colors doing it this way, but it saved me about $100. Well worth it. DO NOT pain it, it's a wast of time, clear coat chips too ya know? Later.
eric

Old 06-27-2000, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help, I guess i just have to go get it powder coated.

If anyone knows of a place that powder coats in Ohio(east central), lower PA, Upper WV(pan handle) Please let me know.

I won't be starting on it till winter, so i can wait till they get the color i want.

Trending Topics

Old 06-27-2000, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

Check the yellow pages and the internet. There are three where I live in the same industrial park. I hope you can find one close. Later.
eric

Old 06-27-2000, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hey i know theres two i will get u there name and where they are / i dont think they are to close to u though/ the cheapest place i found what around 200 bucks for frame/a arms/swingarm. get them to u soon i hope.

Old 06-27-2000, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Why does everyone add their modlist to every piece of machinery that they have ever owned in their posts?

Quick Reply: Painting a frame