Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

winch installation on 2003 kodiak 450

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch installation on 2003 kodiak 450

I bought a warn 2.5 winch and i plan to install it myself on my kodiak 450. Has anybody out there installed one on their 450. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Is the box under the seat the best place to install the conductor? Where did you run the wires from the winch?I know the installation booklet tells you how, but not for any particular atv. jimjimbo1942@aol.com

Old 02-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider

I installed the 2.5ci on my Kodiak 450 also. It took about 3 hours, but that includes lunch. I ran the wires from the left handlebar under the plastic on the left side of the quad to the solenoid, which I installed under the seat. The wires to winch iteslf, (yellow & blue) I ran on the right side of the quad to the battery. It's a really easy install, if you have any more questions, fire away.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Wolverine with the Warn 2.5, the box under the seat is the best place for the contactor unless you plan to build another weather tight box. I can get pics if you need them. Drill a hole in the lower left corner (facing the box), pass the wires through, zip tie them to the frame, seal all connections and holes with silicone. Viola!

Old 02-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE ATV123. I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS. WHEN YOU RAN YOUR WIRES FROM THE WINCH TO THE SOLINOID, DID YOU DRILL THE BOX UNDER THE SEAT? WHICH SIDE OF THE BOX? DID YOU RUN THE WIRES FROM THE OUTSIDE? HOW DID YOU RUN THE WIRES FROM THE SOLINOID TO THE BATTERY? DID YOU HAVE PROBLEMS RUNNING THE WIRES OVER THE TOP FROM THE BATTERY TO THE SOLINOID. DID THE SEAT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS WHEW YOU DID SAY FIRE AWAY

Old 02-17-2004, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NIMROD
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE ATV123. I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS. WHEN YOU RAN YOUR WIRES FROM THE WINCH TO THE SOLINOID, DID YOU DRILL THE BOX UNDER THE SEAT? WHICH SIDE OF THE BOX? DID YOU RUN THE WIRES FROM THE OUTSIDE? HOW DID YOU RUN THE WIRES FROM THE SOLINOID TO THE BATTERY? DID YOU HAVE PROBLEMS RUNNING THE WIRES OVER THE TOP FROM THE BATTERY TO THE SOLINOID. DID THE SEAT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS WHEW YOU DID SAY FIRE AWAY
OK, here goes! Yes, I drilled holes in the storage compartment under the seat for the solenoid. I mounted the solenoid in the back of the box, for ease of wiring, but anywhere should do. I did not run the wires from the outside. I left all the wires from the solenoid coiled up in the storage compartment and ran the two to the battery. Any previous storage space is gone since the solenoid is in there now and can get damaged by something heavy. Of course, I could still put small, light things in there, but nothing heavy or metal that could do damage to the solenoid. I didn't have any problem running the wire over the top of the battery to the solenoid. It is a tight fit however, but they fit through. No problems w/ the seat either. Just make sure you mount your solenoid low enough to close the seat. I almost made this mistake. I think I answered all your questions, hope that helps!

Old 02-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS ATV123, I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS. I'VE MOUNTED THE WINCH, NOW I'LL TACKLE THE WIRING . ENJOY YOUR KODIAK, I SURE DO. HAVE A GREAT DAY SIGNED NIMROD

Old 02-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just a suggestion. I have Warn 2000 on my Kodiak 400. I do have my solenoid mounted under the seat also but the power line has a small insulated alligator clip on it. I ran it to the battery(which is only a few inches away) and when I use the winch I just apply the clip to the postive terminal. I unclip the lead when I am finished with the winch. The instructions will tell you to run the power to the ignition so every time you turn your key on the solenoid will kick on. As you know over time the solenoid will eventually give out, who knows it may never give out but I like the way I did it because in the 3 years that I have owned my Kodiak I have used the winch approx. 20 times. It beats the hundreds of time I have started the Kodiak. I have never pulled anyone out or have never been stuck I just use it for odd jobs and show my wife when I do to justify the use of it - both the 4-wheeler and the winch. You would understand the last line if you are married! Good luck with your install - it just takes time and do not not shortcut anything.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wanted a Banshee so bad, but I got a Wolverine instead because of the winch and plow. The wife is none the wiser. When it snows, I put the plow on, go out to plow, go around the block, take the plow off, and go riding. Now I can buy all kinds of attatchments for the thing, the brush hog will get me out all day in the summer, and cut my lawn when I'm home. My favorite attatchment will keep the area around the garage real quiet, it fits right over her mouth! Yeah, I'm married too, but I love her! And my wife aint so bad either! Hope that winch worked out, I love mine big time!