Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FMF "Q" Muffler: Cost vs Performance Gains

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMF "Q" Muffler: Cost vs Performance Gains

I ride the Oregon dunes where the noise levels are regulated. So I thought I'd be responsible and look into getting an aftermarket pipe that both increases power, while it keeps me in noise tolerances on my YFZ 450. I called FMF and asked how much power increase I can expect from their Powerbomb header ($179) and the "Q" muffler ($309; this muffler was discussed in the latest issue of dirtwheel magazine). I also asked about the db levels.

The tech support guy said the db will be around 94, and I can expect 1 to 1.5 hp increase (he made no comment on torque increase).

I know it's a hard task to design a muffler that is noise compliant and also makes power, but aren't we approaching a point where this is insulting to the buying public to sell a product that essentially shows no gains (<3% peak) for a ridiculous price (> $300 per peak hp)?

What annoyed me the most was that I was actually fooled into thinking this muffler had merit after reading the article in Dirtwheel magazine. The article said "we simply saw an opportunity to create and sell lightweight pipes that can keep noise levels to legal levels but not hurt power."

When Don Emler, "rider, tester, and owner of FMF" said that this pipe would "not hurt power", I made the mistake of assuming he was talking about a reasonable power increase that can typically be expected from an aftermarket pipe. The tech guys at FMF said it definitely wouldn't "hurt stock power".....

ARRRGG... Why would I pay $500 for a pipe that "doesn't hurt stock power"???? What's the point of the pipe? Good looks? Weight loss??? Anyone concerned that heavily with weight loss couldn't possibly care about noise levels, could they?

If there's anyone out there with this header/muffler setup on a 450, please post your opinions, as my options are quite limited.

Thanks.

Thespazardman

Old 02-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

With all the noise regulations that are coming about lately, I too was forced to do something about the noise coming out of my banshee.

I "was" running fmf gold series with power coreII silencers....After a few years of beating up my neighbors ears. It was time to do something. During the last 10 or so years, I have never had a problem with an FMF product...so I wanted to stick with the same brand pipes. I bought the FMF Fatty pipes with Qsilencers and am very glad I did. They cut down my noise to a reasonable level allowing me to still ride in the fields behind my house...I did not notice a decrease in power at all when compared to my "old" fmf pipes... (just for reference).

Is it restricted? Yes....but the sound is good.
Are they over priced....In a big way...but if it's the only way I can ride.

Don't be dicouraged about what they say...I think you will be happy with the gain. Remember that you will be changing the jetting at the same time....Maybe a more free flowing fliter. etc.

Over the years I have gotten out of that gotta be loud attitude...and started leaning towards the nice stealth affect. It was annoying..I could not even start the quad and let it idle without someone complaining about the noise.

Old 02-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

SayitFMF, I have to say that this is probably only the 3rd-4th "responsible" reply to a question like this I have seen on this forum. I commend your maturity,honesty, and FIRST HAND experience on this post. Kudos man!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If only all the rest of us took this mindset when considering aftermarket exhausts we may have ALOT more riding oppertunities....... When I do decide to buy an aftermarket exhaust, I will ONLY purchase one that can be used with a respectable(no more than 100db) sound level in Public/State riding areas.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hopefully it helped.....the first post was actually talking about a 4 stroke..which my banshee is not [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .
But .......

I also have a drz400 4 stroke....I do know first hand that when you start putting pipes on a 4 stroke dirt bike...the noise increases like crazy. My buddy put the "Q" on his drz and it is not much louder than my stock exhaust on the same bike. Looks like I'll be spending some more money in the spring.