Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bent rear axle on wolverine, WHY!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent rear axle on wolverine, WHY!?

Does anyone have a spare stock axle for a 1997 or newer wolverine?
here's the story...
I went to Winrock a few weeks ago, rode trails for a while and went home.
When I was loading my quad up to fonally be able to take riding again I noticed the rear wheel
was wobbling, thinking I just bent the wheel I was going to take it off and see about straightening
it up enough to ride, I just about crapped my pants when I put it up and spun it around seeing
the bend in the axle insted of the wheel.
The thing is I have no idea what I did to cause that kind of damage to an axle.
I did catch a vine with a hand gaurd and broke it off, which caused the mount to snap the
the e-brake switch connector off, but that will obviously not cause the axle to bend.
otherwise , no drops, no major rocks, no rolls and NO JUMPS.
I'm clueless as to what I did to bend it.

peace
scaboy

Old 02-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

You could have caught a rock with the rear tire just right and overloaded the one side, although I would imagine you would have felt it. I have heard from time to time that others have bent their rear axle, but I don't think it is a significant design problem or anything like that.

I would try a used salvage yard. Look on the web under "atv salvage yards" and see what you can find.

If you are going to go new, I would look into an aftermarket one as they are designed to be stronger and more durable.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, good idea.
But the one I would replace it with (dura blue) is $350.ºº, which I don't have at the moment.
Guess I'll have to hope the Y.E.S. warrenty covers that , or I wont be riding til I get the $$.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

peace
scaboy

Old 02-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

How ya been scaboy? I have been there done that on the axle. My Wolvy was almost new when I flipped it WFO on blacktop trying to avoid a dog in the road. Bent my axle fairly bad. My pal that was a certified Yammy mechanic helped me straighten it. We used a large press and would roll it on a flat table to see where the bend was. I was sure it would be weak and bend again soon but it didn't. I finally replaced it when the splines got worn bad. But it never bent again. That may be worth a try before shelling out $350.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Shastadog is right. I have not only straightened an axle of my own (warrior) but 3 other buddies (warriors as well). And if you do a good job at it, no one can tell the difference. Ours all stood the test of time with plenty of punishment. Give it a try, what do you have to loose?

Old 02-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Range Rover

thanks guys,
If the warrenty thing don't work out (find out tomarrow) I will definatly try the straightening
route.
shastadog.. Aside from the normal cuts and bruises(AKA scabs), I've been OK [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . BTW what happened to your photo page?

Old 02-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

SCaboy Find a machine shop with a large lathe . They shouldnt have any problem straighting it out if they know what there doing .
Dont let them heat it!
Good luck

Old 02-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

I just got some great news.
Yamaha warranty is going to fix it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was so happy I could have almost eat shiz and died.
Anyway they will have it back to me early next week, so i'll be hitting the trails again next
weekend with any luck at all. and if they give me the old axle back i WILL try to bend it
back to shape with the hydrolic press at work.
No offense "outlawlawndragster" but I can't see the sense in removing material
from an already weakened axle to straighten it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

peace
scaboy

Old 02-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

You dont remove material . You use rolling centers to straighten it . Ever seen a set of ATV rims built on a lathe ? they are rolled from a flat piece of aluminum and shaped .

Glad to here your YES is paying the bill . I have a 3 year on my 04 raptor
I hope there better than the Yamaha financing . There service is there HOUSEHOLD finance and they SUCK

Old 02-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

i wonder how your doogie got all bent up

Quick Reply: Bent rear axle on wolverine, WHY!?