Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor spits, sputters, dies

Old 03-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor spits, sputters, dies

Ok, I have a stock 04 Raptor. I haven't ridden in a long while because I haven't had time. It has been quite some time since I started it last, and today I decided to fire it up and ride it around a bit. Well it took a while to start, which is probably cuz it hasn't ran in so long. But it eventually fired up. However, whenever I try to give it gas it will spit sputter then die. It will run with the choke on, but as soon as I touch the throttle it will die. At first I thought it might have been bad gas, but it runs fine with the choke on. In fact, it will only run with the choke on. If I turn it off it will die. Sometimes it revs real high and then the reverse light starts flashing. Could a sensor be screwin things up? If something is in the carb, would that cause it to act like this? This is the last thing I need right now. If you guys and gals could gimme some ideas on what to check, I would realy appreciate it.

2-Knee

Old 03-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

First make sure your parking brake isnt on. The same thing happened to me and my pilot jets were clogged.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Range Rover

Is it cold where you live. If it is, you are probly running lean.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

My parking brake is off, that was he first thing I checked, unless there is a problem somehwere else other than by the clutch lever. I hpoe I don't have to tear into the carbs, cuz I don't know much about them and don't want to "F" anything up. It is not cold here either. It is around 55* or so. Maybe even a little warmer. Any other suggestions?

2-Knee

Old 03-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Range Rover

I would check the choke cable to make sure it is functioning correctly, then drain the old gas and get new, and put in a new plug.

Old 03-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, definitely change the plug before you tear into the carbs.

Old 03-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the parking brake switch is sticking, you could unplug it at the white connector that's below your bars and behind the top of the radiator. follow the wires down you'll see it.

It could be a plugged up pilot jet or main jet, in that case you'd need to pull the carbs and clean them.

There's a slim chance you have a stuck float/needle. You could loosen the drain screw next to the dump tube on the bottom of the carbs (both) and see if you get gas out of the dump tubes. Those screws are very tight so you need a good screw driver and it helps if it's a little longer than normal but it doesn't have to be. If something is stuck rapping on the sides of the carbs with a screw driver handle may loosen it up.

Make sure your carbs didn't pop off the boots.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2004, 01:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Your pilot jet is plugged.
The fuel in the float bowl evaporated, while it was sitting, and the gas left behind some varnish in the jet. The hole in the pilot jet is very tiny, and it doesnt take much to plug it up.
The only way to fix it, is to remove it and blow thru it, and sometimes even run a small wire thru it, to dislodge the blockage.
If you know its going to sit for awhile, either put stabil in the gas, and let it run for awhile, (so the float bowl will get protected). Or shut the petcock off, and let the motor run the float bowl dry.

Old 03-07-2004, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

sounds like new gas and a plug are needed