Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Input on Grizzly 660 break in

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on Grizzly 660 break in

I just bought a new Grizzly 660 and was looking for some input on break in. I have heard you should take it easy on them for the first few rides, I have also heard that you should break them in the way you are going to ride them. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated?

Old 03-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Range Rover

The owners manuel says 20 hrs. I stayed below half throttle on mine for 10 hrs. After that i cut loose. Thats what my dealer said to do. Hope you enjoy your new machine.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Break it in like you are going to ride it.

Give it the proper cool down periods.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone has different opinions, mine is to take it easy for the first while, follow the makers advice and don't let the first oil change be overdue.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. I took it for my first ride yesterday being carefull not to full throttle it at all, but riding it like I plan to every time I ride. I like to hill climb, rock crawl and such and this type of riding puts more of a load on the machine than the owners manual recomends until its broke in. I am not one to just put around for 20 hours..... It is much different to ride then my Trailboss, I am having a bit of a time getting used to the seperate brake levers. Having all that power sure is nice though!! Thanks Again!

Old 03-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I wouldnt let it idle too much,during breakin. The oil pump doesnt pump out much pressure or volume while idling, and that wouldnt be good. Just drive it, and it wont hurt to use the throttle.

Old 03-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster
I wouldnt let it idle too much,during breakin. The oil pump doesnt pump out much pressure or volume while idling, and that wouldnt be good. Just drive it, and it wont hurt to use the throttle.
but you don't want valves slapping the piston because theyre not perfectly set yet.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Just dont bog the motor or do a lot of slow speed riding. Theres a reason its called a break in. That first oil change is the most important thing for making er last. Heck the factory revs em way up when they are built, but not for extended time.

With as much power as you have at your disposal now you shouldnt have much trouble keeping out of the WOT range. By the time yer ready to really push er, she'll be ready to go!

Old 03-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hate to seem ignorant, but what does WOT stand for? As I am sure you can tell I am new to these forums so I don't know all the lingo yet...LOL I have learned that the Yamaha plastic isn't quite as durable as that on my Trailboss, I aquired several fairly deep scratches on my ride yesterday from just going through some light brush. Oh well, I didn't buy it to look pretty, I bought it to ride it. Thanks again for everyone's input. I really do appreciate it!

Old 03-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

yea ive noticed that as well about the plastics...the blue on our trailboss still looks nearly new, as my warrior looks quite beat lol

anyway, WOT = wide open throttle [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Input on Grizzly 660 break in