Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior wont crank, start, do anything!!grr...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior wont crank, start, do anything!!grr...

ok so after replacing my rear axle and replacing my exhaust studs, i thought i had finally solved all the probs with this 98 warrior i picked up. so i'm ridding it for about 1/2 hr and all is well. so i go home and load it on the truck for a weekend upstate NY. to bad when i get up there, i would try to start it and it would crank, and almost start, then just keep cranking... after bout 10 mins of this i called it a night and went to bed. the next morning, it wouldnt crank at all, no ticking, no cranking no noise..as if the key wasnt even in, but the headlights worked..(at least something worked) so then i tried pull starting it, and again it would almost start, but no cigar. what does anyone think it could be? how do you bypass the celenoid, but doesnt it not starting by pulling eliminate this as a prob? could it be the spark plug? thanks alot for everyones help..this site rocks...

Old 03-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The battery will need to be recharged, its got too low of voltage to spin the starter, but has enough to lite the lights.
Did you leave the petcock on, while hauling upstate? That probably flooded the motor. All the swaying around, jiggled the float and more fuel poured in.
Bypassing the solinoid wont help til the battery is charged back up, and yes, pull starting is a way around this. Could also have someone push start you, thats the easiest way to start a subborn quad.
Check the plug, if it looks iffy, get a new one.Then check for spark.
Check the air filter, it could be dirty and that would make it hard starting.
You could try holding the throttle at 1/4 open, when starting,.... you might not be getting enough fuel with the throttle closed.
let us know what happens.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

also make sure the reverse lever is all the way in forward or back. I think that used to be a problem on mine.