Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Jetting

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Jetting

I've got an '03 Wolvy running a supertrapp exhaust and uni air filter. My next step is to rejet the carb. Is the dial-a-jet as good as it looks, or am I better off buying a regular jet kit. I ride between 1000 and 3000 ft most of the time, so after it's done, I won't need to rejet. I just want to know where I can expect the most power and best reliability(after all that's what we all want).
BTW, I just got an ATV luggage set off eBay. If anyone's interested, I can post who I got it from, as he has more. Top notch stuff for only $70, and a lot of it too!

Thanks!!

Old 03-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would skip the jet kit. It has too many jets that you will not need. A better option would be to go to your dealer and order the next 2 or 3 richer jets, they only run about $5 each.

The Dial a Jet works, but it is more of a fine tuning tool, not a direct replacement for rejetting. Once your bike is jetted reasonably close, the Dial a Jet can get you right on the mark, and it can also help you compensate for altitude or temperature changes.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

It looks like there is more to it than that. I looked at the dynojet kit instructions, and it even states about drilling out for the slide needle and replacing it with a dynojet part.
I only want to do this once, so I want to get it right the first time. Taking apart the carb doesn't bother me, but I would rather be riding than wrenching.
LotusPosition, I notice you use the dial-a-jet. Did you make any other jetting changes, or only what is in the kit?

Old 03-11-2004, 07:40 PM
eja
Range Rover

Whiplash, I put the dynojet in my 2003 wolverine and there is a needle change and plus you must drill out one of the holes in the slide. NOT THE HOLE THE NEEDLE GOES IN. I don't know how much difference that new needle and drilling make vs. just adding a new jet. but a jet only cost about $5.00. Hey Lotus if you get back on this thread, how does the dial a jet work? does it hook up to the outside of your carb or what? I don't understand the mechanics of it. thanks.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Eja, I was trying to read the dynojet pdf while typing, I just remember something had to be drilled.
What other mods have you done to your wolvy? What made the biggest difference?
I only have the pipe on now with 8 discs (most supertrapp recommends on stock jetting), and there is definite mid range and top end improvement. I'm planning on doing the jets when I do the filter (I don't want it running too lean), hopefully within the next month.
Thanks!!

Old 03-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Trailblazer

I bought my Wolverine from a guy in Salt Lake, he said it was jetted for a much higher altitude then Las Vegas (~2500-3000 ft.) what should my jetting be?
Thanks

Old 03-12-2004, 05:51 PM
eja
Range Rover

Pro-Design air box modification, with uni filter and outerwear air box lid ; Big-Gun slip on utility series ; stage 1 dynojet kit ; Warn 424 select ; ricochet skid plates ; outerwear shock covers ; PIAA lights ; C- series alum. wheels with stock tires. I think the air box modification is a must for the wolverine or warrior. The stock system allows air and dirt to by-pass the filter. When I installed the Pro-Design I could see where dirt was getting around it. The 424 select is a nice well built mod. also.