Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Question

#1 Does yamaha use Sealed Bearings in their wheels? Read a article that says some of the companies use regular ball bearings, and they can easily be contaminated.

#2 I know the 450 Kodiak has the locking front Diff. Is the diff on the 400 at least a Limited slip, or just open. Does anybody reguarly need that LOCK Mode for watercrossings...

Thanks

Old 03-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Kodiak Question

TTT

Old 03-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default Kodiak Question

i dont know about the bearings , but my buddy has been stuck lkke 5 times with the locker on the kodiack 450. he doesn't use it all the time but when he does it comes in handy

Old 03-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Question

sledrider, I have a suggestion for you. Do another post on this but direct it towards "Knowsalot" he should be able to answer your question about the bearings.

As for the diff lock I do not use it for water crossings, I just put it in 4x4 low and cross. I feel locked would make it to hard to steer and in my case where I cross some pretty fast rivers I like the ability to maneuver quickly in case it gets swept downriver. I had a King Quad and it to had a locker and it was the same case. I use diff lock for pulling heavy loads up hills, slow crawling over rocks or when I know I am going into nasty mud and need all tires spinning. Hopes this helps and like I said redirect the post you might get a answer to your question. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Kodiak Question

Thanks Guys. Trying to choose between a Kodiak and a Foreman-Rancher. The diff lock may be a deciding point. All this internet Knowledge helps a lot.

Old 03-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Question

Sledrider. Some of what you get off here is BS but the other 97% beats what the dealer wants you to believe. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Question

I don't use diff lock either for water crossings, just 4wd if i think i'll need it.

Your buddys only been stuck 5 times? I've had my Kodiak 450 for 5 months and I can't even begin to count how many times I've had it stuck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default Kodiak Question

Ill be looking to try a Kodiak in my area if I can find somebody with one. I did like the older Foreman that I tried out in the snow Saturday.

With the diff, you engage 4wd first, the flip the lever and push in the diff button. Is it locked now, or do you also have to hold that Override button?

Old 03-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Question

sledrider. No you do not need to hold the overide button, that is there for when you want to go over 20-22 miles an hour while locked.

As for the diff locker you need to be in 4x4 mode and stopped, flick the cover off and depress the locker button. On the control panel it will flash a few times then it will say diff locked and you are engaged. Make sure you come to a stop before disengaging. This should help, AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Kodiak Question

OK. The Yamaha Brouchure was a litttle confusing. Makes it seem like you need to HOLD the Override button in. Probably will be back at dealers end of week to sit on the machines again.

Quick Reply: Kodiak Question