Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

nitrous additive to gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous additive to gas

Im not being negative. I have tried the stuff and im telling him the truth. It doesnt work. On the bottle they make it sound like it adds 7 points to your octane reading. But what it really means is that it adds about .07 points.

BigRed23: If you want to get the same effect as this nitrous in a bottle stuff with better results for the same price go to your local race store and buy a gallon of 110 octane race fuel. Mix it in with some 92 or 93 (whatever they sell in pa) and run that. You will get much better results for the exact same price.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Why are you guys so negative? It's a fact that we have Nitro-blended and oxygenated fuel additives that do help performance when properly jetted. The guy wants too try a $10 bottle of additive. If he had $600+ laying around maybe he would have already got a nitrous set-up.
I second that. I have a buddy that swears by it but I havent tried it yet cuz I cant get my hands on any in CALIFORNIA!!! This place is going to Crap if you ask me.... Thats another story.

Sorry, I had to vent...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with gary and raptorOwner posts. some of the best gains you can get are cheap.

I use Nitro, made by Klotz, when I pull. They claim 6% increase in HP.

I have a separate tank, under the seat which holds the mix, spray the Nitro and gas into the tops of the down draph carbs with a set of dial-a-jets. This system has been used by snowmoble racers for years. It can be turned off and on and you don't have to drain your gas tank after uses. (not recomended to leave in tank overnight).

It like having larger carbs, the nitro provides the extra ox and the dial a jet provide the extra gas.

Flame away.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm? Sounds like a different concept to me. The stuff bigred was talking about is just a bottle of liquid that you mix into your gas right? The nitrous octane booster? If Bigred is talking about something you spray into the carb then disregard all of my posts because i have no experience with that.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure what he's referring to. The Nitro I'm talking about isn't an octane booster per say, it acts like Nitrous oxide. which adds oxgyen. Just like the real nitrous oxide it needs fuel to go with it. It can be added to the gas and it will produce some gain, but again it's an oxgyent additive, to get use of it you need to add gas also.

Just adding to the gas will make you run lean.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

yeah the stuff im talking about isnt an octane booster....its has nitro something in it and you add like 4 oz to the gallon and then you have to jet up like 4 sizes on the main jet...it didnt say anything on the bottle about raising the octane level of gas....they just started selling it at this local pro shop and my one friend has tried it and said it worked really good and now he wont run without it.....i was just seeing if anyone has had any experience with it

Old 03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Is this stuff just has the Brand name of NOS right? Red

Old 03-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

try here

klotz nitro

It smells, so you can't hide that your using it!!

Old 03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigRed23
yeah the stuff im talking about isnt an octane booster....its has nitro something in it and you add like 4 oz to the gallon and then you have to jet up like 4 sizes on the main jet...it didnt say anything on the bottle about raising the octane level of gas....they just started selling it at this local pro shop and my one friend has tried it and said it worked really good and now he wont run without it.....i was just seeing if anyone has had any experience with it
Yes, there is one person on the forums that uses it but I will not mention his name only because he didnt want anyone to know. I seen it in action and yes his bike is way fast!! But I never seen it run without it so I dont know the difference. If its the same stuff, you mix a quart to 10 gallons of Race fuel.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

In my experience in the automotive world, the advantage of high octane fuels is that it allows you to run more ignition timing, higher compression, more boost, more nitrous or a combination of all without the dreaded deotnation. This Klotz product claims you need to retard timing if you use it. That contradicts the whole purpose of a high octane fuel in most applications. High octane fuel burns slower than a low octane fuel which allows you to advance your timing. The klotz ad says the opposite. As far as it being "oxygen- bearing", I'm not famliar with oxygenated fuels and their advantage, but I can say that this product is in no way similar to Nitrous Oxide (N20) which the title of this thread would suggest.

Quick Reply: nitrous additive to gas