Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor wiring harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor wiring harness questions

Has anyone turned the stock Raptor wiring harness into a "race only" wiring harness, no lights, factory switches, etc? Push button start from a motorcycle kill switch and a normally closed tether for run/stop is my plan.

I've got my wiring down to bare bones but I'm not 100% sure about some of the CDI wires (reverse, clutch, neutral, parking brake, temp). Ground them or wire them hot or let them float? The speed sensor, stator, and voltage regulator are pretty straighforward, I'm not screwing with them.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I don't want to fry my new Dyna ignition!

Old 03-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

You can get rid of the speed sensor wiring. I bought a block off plate off of ebay. Took out the SS, unhooked the wiring where it attached by the frame and it runs fine. No difference from before so far.

Please keep us posted on your work. I have been wanting to do the exact same thing with the stock starter switch housing, throwing it out and hooking up a single push button starter switch. Good luck.

RR1

p.s. By the way you don't need a "normally closed" kill switch. You can use any regular (normally open) kill switch (Pro-Design, Gunnar, etc.) with the Dyna Box. Just ground one lead and hook the other to the purple wire coming from the Dyna box.

Old 03-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I cut the head lights and sealed them off. I then drilled holes in the hood to hold my temp.,nutral,and oil lights. I have a kill switch wired for my start button. Then use a hot kill switch. I kept my ignition and mounted it in my fender. I didn;t use a kill switch I just wired them together with clips so if need be I can wire it in at anytime. I used the service manual and traced to all switches wasn't to hard just time consuming. No broblems for over a year now. Thats with the stack ignition though.

Old 03-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Does the rev limiter still work with the speed sensor disconnected? I saw the Dyna instructions for using a normally open kill switch but without a key or run/stop, I want to use the tether to disconnect all power.