Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

why are raptors best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are raptors best?

i've read on this forum for a few days and noticed a lot of people use rappy's instead of the other 4 strokes. why are they better? from what i understood a ds was faster. but i noticed its harder to get parts for them than rappy's. do a lot of people say rappy's are better because a lot of people own them and just support whatever they bought? im new to the sport atv's so i just thought i would ask why rappy's are better.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thestockest
do a lot of people say rappy's are better because a lot of people own them and just support whatever they bought?
pretty much but IMO they're pretty nice bikes.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes they are very nice bikes but i was just wondering what puts them ahead of the ds and other big 4 strokes?

Old 03-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This can be a touchy subject with non-raptor riders, but here it goes...

The raptor is in the top group of quads as far as speed goes. It, the ds, the yfz, the trx450, and the predator are all in the same speed class; fast.
The raptor is the only bike in the above group with reverse, a definite plus for trail and recreational riders.
The raptor makes a lot of hp with just a pipe and filter, cheap mods considering the hp gain.
The raptor has been very reliable since the tranny issues were resolved in 2002.
The raptor has a lot of aftermarket parts availible for it, and has great potential for hp and speed.
The raptor has lots of low end torque which makes it fun to ride.
The raptor is a very good trail machine that has an advantage in tight trails due to its width.

There are more, but I think you get the idea of where I have been going with this.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, thanx for clearing that up, i recently bought a dsbaja and was worried i made the wrong choice, i love it to death but from what i read on here i thought raptors might be better. thanx for all the help

Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: maddog56
This can be a touchy subject with non-raptor riders, but here it goes...

The raptor is in the top group of quads as far as speed goes. It, the ds, the yfz, the trx450, and the predator are all in the same speed class; fast.
The raptor is the only bike in the above group with reverse, a definite plus for trail and recreational riders.
The raptor makes a lot of hp with just a pipe and filter, cheap mods considering the hp gain.
The raptor has been very reliable since the tranny issues were resolved in 2002.
The raptor has a lot of aftermarket parts availible for it, and has great potential for hp and speed.
The raptor has lots of low end torque which makes it fun to ride.
The raptor is a very good trail machine that has an advantage in tight trails due to its width.

There are more, but I think you get the idea of where I have been going with this.
Well put Maddog!

Old 03-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
This can be a touchy subject with non-raptor riders, but here it goes...The raptor is in the top group of quads as far as speed goes. It, the ds, the yfz, the trx450, and the predator are all in the same speed class; fast.The raptor is the only bike in the above group with reverse, a definite plus for trail and recreational riders.The raptor makes a lot of hp with just a pipe and filter, cheap mods considering the hp gain.The raptor has been very reliable since the tranny issues were resolved in 2002.The raptor has a lot of aftermarket parts availible for it, and has great potential for hp and speed.The raptor has lots of low end torque which makes it fun to ride.The raptor is a very good trail machine that has an advantage in tight trails due to its width.There are more, but I think you get the idea of where I have been going with this.
Well i'm a non-raptor rider, so its time to get flamed.... lol j/k

I think that was very accurate maddog...

Old 03-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: thestockest
ok, thanx for clearing that up, i recently bought a dsbaja and was worried i made the wrong choice, i love it to death but from what i read on here i thought raptors might be better. thanx for all the help
LOL. Nice one. The raptor is better in some places, the ds in other. Its a lot cheaper and easier to find parts for a raptor than a ds. The ds is great in the dunes, but its a hindrance in the trails. It really depends on what you like. If you like your baja better, then good for you. Congrats on your purchase.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

They are the best cause I own one. LOL.

Everyone has their own opinion on what is the best, and usually whatever fits your riding ability, terrian, and purpose will determine what is the best for you.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think most of this is pretty honest so far.

In Northern CA you will pay about $7200 OTD for a Raptor and about $6800 OTD for a DS (not X). I am real sure about the Raptor price but, I could be a little off on the DS.

The DS is a more durable machine. The tranny is stronger. 2002 models included.
The DS is easy to jet. The Raptor is difficlut to jet.
The DS engine is well proven (used in the BMW F650 Bikes for years).
The DS is much more comfortable for taller or bigger riders. And, for long all day rides (regardless of rider size).

DS is wider. If you ride dunes, that would save you from buying an aftermarket axel like many of my Raptor buds have. For tight trails if may be a different story.

As said above.
DS doesn't have reverse - may not be good for tighter trails
DS is heavier - taking some of the available HP for pushing the extra weight
The Raptor does respond better to pipe and air filter than the DS
The Raptor does have more aftermarket parts

Sure makes you wonder. . . if the DS had Yamaha on the side of it and the Raptor had Bombardier on the side of it. . . would the mags. say anything different? Would the sales numbers be different?

My bet is the sales numbers would be much different. I think there are a lot of people that buy Raptor's because they are a Yamaha. . . not so much because of the features of it vs. other quads.

Quick Reply: why are raptors best?