Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WARRIOR GOOD CHOICE OR BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARRIOR GOOD CHOICE OR BAD?

Hey I need some input I am severly thinking of getting a warrior/ I just want to know what are there down point and good points?
I will be riding trails mostly so how good are they in mud/ and I occasionaly race my friends blaster so what kind of aftermarket parts
would I need to keep up or out run him? He has FMF PIPE AND SILENCER AND BORED .10 over and ported cylinders)I NEED TO OUT RUN
HIM. THANKS ALOT

OH I only have 600.00 for go-fast parts

Old 03-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

I suggest Nitrous on it. Then you can pat the gas on him.

I just suggest K&N filter, Alba Racing Pipe, jet Kit, perhaps change sproket. Shouldnt have a problem then.

Warriors are perfect for trailing. They can take alot of abuse....More than alot. Great at riding wheelies, and whoever says they dont run good can come run mine and find out for themself. Me however am lowering mine, having massive motor work done to it amd more.

Its a good choice for the money.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

Is the nitrous hard on the quad does it make it less reliable and could you tell a big difference with nitrous.
What kind of motor work are you doing.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Range Rover

Getting port work on the head and a cam. I'm going to have a specialty built piston made for it. On my drag racing site i own Wheelsup.net Diamond Pistons advertises on it and im going to have them make me one for nitrous. Something will take alot of juice.

You cant tell a little difference you can tell alot. I mean im about 240 so your talking alot of weight of plus the bike its pushing. It literally pulls the wheels about 2 foot in 3rd gear.

I have dealt with drag cars so yes Nitrous does push a stock motor further than what its made for. But i done some checking before i put it on mine. I even talked to Jimmy with Trinity and he said with a stock motor Nitrous would work great. Your talking about putting it on a warrior which has not much compression at all. So the Nitrous picks it up alot. I mean dont get carried away will pilling it up and it will be fine. Its worth it plain and simple. Im not just talking, it really picks them up alot.

Im not into the whole mudding deal. I strictly want mine to look good and run good. my idea of how my warrior will be in 4 months is, alba partiot graphic kit, alba pipe, lowered 3 1/2 inches all the way around, holeshot tires, trailtech speedometer.

Many people say why dont you do all that to a Banshee?...lol. Why not to a Warrior i ask back? Thats what i got and i love it. Whats wrong with wanting the baddest Warrior around?...lol.

Dont forget i can get the Nitours kits cheap....

Old 03-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

If your stuck on getting a warrior I hope you don't get bored with the power. Even though your looking at some mods... there is no replacement for displacement. I am not biased towards a Raptor just cause I own one just talking from experience. I have a good friend who bought a warrior and he told me that it was all he would ever need. Now he owns a raptor cause he got bored. Like I said not bias there are a lot of different machines out there than the warrior. He never had any major problems with his warrior either.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

IF you plan on doing any racing at all then it not the choice. But if trails and the occational run down some gravel roads then the Warrior is a perfect choice. I enjoyed my very much..

Old 03-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

I own a 99 warrior and am impressed with the reliability even though it is highly modded what i would suggest is first a slip on pipe system white bros has the best ratings a filter kit stick with foam if you will be mudding it , and check out a high comp. piston kit modified warriors are also geared way to low so step up the the rear sprocket at least 2 teeth

Old 03-31-2004, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not saying this because i favor honda, but in the long run, i think you would like a 400ex. If you are mind bent on getting a warrior, then grab it, but i think you will be happier on the 400ex because it doesnt have that heavy handling of a warrior, they are lighter, great trail quads, but the only thing you might not like about a 400ex is no reverse, other than that, it seems like you'd like a 400ex.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

The warrior is great for trails and it does pretty good in the mud. to beat the blaster you will probably need an after market pipe? jet. high flow air filter (K&N or other high quality filter) maybe some cam work or a high compresion piston would also help. but you could probably win with the pipe and jet if you are good, The 6th gear really helps too.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warrior387cc
I own a 99 warrior and am impressed with the reliability even though it is highly modded what i would suggest is first a slip on pipe system white bros has the best ratings a filter kit stick with foam if you will be mudding it , and check out a high comp. piston kit modified warriors are also geared way to low so step up the the rear sprocket at least 2 teeth
If you step up the rear sprocket two teeth you will make the gearing even lower. I've found myself that in stock form, the Warrior is geared too high if anything. I've geared mine down twice now for more takeoff and climbing ability. As for those mods on a blaster, if your friend is a good rider, you'll have a hard time keeping with him. A few simple mods like pipe/filter on a blaster really wake the beast up. You might be able to get him out of the hole though with your higher torque. I dont' think you need to go to the extreme of adding nitrous to enjoy your machine either .. tho I would be interested to feel the power that would hit LOL

As for the 400EX, yeah, a definite look should be given to that unless you have got to have reverse. It's just as reliable, more powerful, more agile and in generall better at just about everything the Warrior does with the possible exception of hill climbs .. the warrior's front end is a real blessing in that area. If you're looking into the 400's, have a peek at the KFZVX 400 by Kawasukicat. I've not heard of any motor/tranny troubles with those, and if you get the 03 model the frame weakness should be ok. If you're looking at a Warrior you're probably not looking to do anything to hurt the frame on an older model 400 either .. so something else to consider, and they have reverse too.

Anyway .. whatever you get, enjoy it and to heck with the nay-sayers.

l8r

Quick Reply: WARRIOR GOOD CHOICE OR BAD?