Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Starter

My starter on my raptor started clanking like when you shut it off is this mean i need a whole new starter or replace some other parts Please need advice.

Old 04-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Starter

Your starter shouldnt be engaged in the drive train when the engine is running. The only way I can see that you are getting a noise from the starter when the engine is just about to die is that there isnt enough rotational velocity where the throw out bearing is engaging, or it may be damaged. If this throw out bearing is going, you will find out fairly soon that it needs to be replaced. DONT replace it with the stock throw out bearing, buy the L&A one way bearing, superior to the stock piece of crap, and replace the large gear also that the bearing engages on. The shaft most likely has chatter marks on it from engaging with the old bearing. If you dont, it will prematurely wear the roller bearings. L&A will sell you that gear also. Buy new gaskets. You need to buy a gear puller because of a tapered fit with pins of the gear on to the shaft. Go to raptortranny.com and you can get excellent instructions on how to do this yourself, its not too bad. Good luck.