Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A Lot of Top End, Not Much Else

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Lot of Top End, Not Much Else

I agree that sproket selection would be a big help.

SixSixT indicates that he's running a 43 on the back. That would give him a 3.31 final ratio given that he kept
the stock 13 tooth on the front.

Dropping to a 12 tooth on the front and leaving the stock 40 on the back would give a 3.33 final ratio. This
should help a lot, but I don't want to induce an more front end snap than the stock Raptor already has.

If this was a 2-smoker, I'd add more fly wheel weight. Another guy on this forum indicated I'd have rod problems
if I did this. I didn't understand why as people add/remove fly wheel weight all the time to move the torque curve
around.

So, it's open again. Would dropping/adding teeth be preferable over adding/reducing fly wheel weight for what
I'm trying to accomplish without adding any more front end snap? (Front sprokets are really cheap!)

Old 04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

The flywheel weight would be alot more complicated then changing a tooth on the sprocket.
Changing the sprockets will NOT hurt the rod, or anything at that matter. You will be better off by dropping a tooth in the front. You will gain more bottom end, but it dosn't really gain more, it just shifts the power away from the top and brings it down more. Basically it just moves the power curve, it dosnt produce any new power.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

He posted that the flywheel weight could hurt the rod. I posted that too him. No way you want too increase flywheel weight with the Raptors rod. My Raptor was very torquey in stock form....this is the first post I have encountered with someone complaining about Raptor low end power.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry guys, I guess I'm not clear on what I'm trying to do.

I agree that the Raptor has tons of torque, I'm just trying to smooth out when and how it hits.

On both of my Raptors, there is nothing much from idle to about 1/4 throttle, then it simply explodes.
This is Ok for high performance riding but doesn't work well on the technical stuff. I'm just simply trying
to smooth out the torque response to something that looks linear versus something that looks exponential.

This usually means shifting the curve to the left, either with gearing changes or fly wheel weight. Gary
indicates that adding fly wheel weight is not cool on a Raptor. Ok, I'll buy that, and I'd much rather change
the gearing. It's easier and cheaper. It seems like the consensus is to try and drop the front sproket from
13 to 12 teeth. That's cool by me because it is cheap, easy to do, and you can reverse the process for nothing.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the 12 up front would be the same as my set up but ground clearence isn't that much of a concern to me. It sounds like you need to play with the jetting bit, it sounds like it could be a little laen on the bottom end.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

You might try putting on a pipe and rejetting the carbs. Seems to bring out the best in this machine.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

I agree with raptor mac before you try anything I would go with a Good disc type slip on muffler like a supertrap so you can add and subtract discs and this is considered a spark arrester and do the Dyno Jet kit and open up the air box and go with a good aftermarket filter this will be a day and night differance as far as torque and throttle responce you will be very happy.