Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

DYNO JET??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYNO JET??????

I have a dyno jet kit in my raptor it was in it when i got it and i have no instructions for it.. im curious with my mods what should i be running as far as jetS? i have heard to run a 165 and 170 i have a 11:1 comp piston bored to 102mm and port and polish tit. springs yoshi off road full exhaust running half race half premium gas k/n pro design air filter and no air box lid. what should i be running the 165 and 170 sounds right but i was told that with the dyno jet that you can run really small jets such as like a 140?/ that doesnt seem right to me what do you think?? cause after i got this work done i serioulsy wasnt impressed not impressed at all and i still am not impressed i pulled the jetst because the guy that did the enigne work said he had jettted it right so i pulled those and i was running duel 142 mains.?? does that sound righT?? it doesnt to me because stock jets are what 145? any help would be greatly appreciated and im hopping that if that jetting is way off and i fix it i hope it makes a huge differnce in the power. thanks greatly appreciated.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default DYNO JET??????

DynoJet is pretty good at recommending a good starting point for your jetting. Contact them and tell them that you purchased a stage II kit for your raptor but lost the info sheet. They might send you a new one.

~HoundDog

Old 04-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default DYNO JET??????

well again thats where i am confused.. how do i know i have a stage 2 kit?? i looked on there site and there is like 5 differnt kits.. thanks

Old 04-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default DYNO JET??????

joker,

I am guessing by the mods you listed that a stage II is what you would need.

~HoundDog

Old 04-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default DYNO JET??????

Everyone gets a stage 2 kit, I don't know anyone that didn't. Even if they didn't know what they were getting they still got stage 2 (in other words I'm pretty sure you got stage 2). The only way your gonna know if thats gonna be correct jetting is to try it out. If you don't and just keep posting (didn't you post this before?) you'll just keep getting the same information. I'm currently running 160/165 makuni mains, DJ needle 3rd clip, and stock pilot. My bike runs absolutly great! When I first got the jetting done I questioned the small jets too but when I started running it it reassured me that it was forsure right on! If you really can't get the jetting right yourself I highly recommend taking it to a shop with a Dyno where they can jet it right on. It's a little spendy but in a case like yours it might be worth it.

Jetting takes a lot of time and patience to get it right, especially with an engine modded machine. Your gonna have to play around with different sizes a bit before you get it right. Before deciding if your gonna take it to a dyno sit down and play with a few different sizes of jets and see how it run with each one. Eventually your gonna notice which sizes work better and narrow down what you need to get the engine runnin good. Good luck with all of that, I know it's a pain in the a$$.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default DYNO JET??????

Im pretty sure you ure running LEAN. Look at my mods...Im running a 180/185 Dynojets @ sea level. Take a look at your spark plug and if its white/grey you have to jet up...you are looking for a tan/brownish/rust color on the spark plug. Hope this helps

Old 04-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default DYNO JET??????

140 DJ mains would be way way too lean. 165/170 should be closer ( Dynojet mains)
Heck, just piped on a stock Raptor, needs 146/148 Dynojet jets if using Dynojet needles too.

I dont think I could have given any more info in your last post, read it again - everything you
need to know is there, from several guys.

Also Caliraptor - your jetting , if using Dynojet needles too, sounds rich to me . Looks like your
sig says your just running a slipon and no porting on stock bore ? Im not saying your not right,
just seems like you are jetted huge for all the more air its sucking. By Dynojet specs, you should
be in the 148/150 jet range. Maybe a tad higher for the filter setup I dont think a little higher compression
and cam changes your jetting too much. Probably a little but not much. Heck, your jetted 2 increments
bigger than I am, and Im on a fully ported 686, and full Sparks x-6, with open box.

Im learning here too, so nobody get pissed at what I say please . Just discussing things gets alot of info out,
which is all Im trying to do.

Pinheadedjoker, If I was in your situation, I would stick in the 165/170 jets, and give her a run. If you had 140
jets in there prior, no wonder you werent impressed. You need fuel ! Especially when ported and opened up.

Whats the worst that could happen, you were running 140's... now you add a ton more fuel - all that would do is
make it richer, which wont hurt anything, and will probably wake that sucker up bigtime. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default DYNO JET??????

PipeIt660: Your runnin 165/170 dynojet or makuni mains? This jetting post is really confusing me. Are you guys attempting to jet using ALL dynojet jets or are you mixing makuni mains with a DJ needle?

Old 04-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default DYNO JET??????

>>>????>>>>>>> can it still seem like it is running fine even if its running lean? like not bog if its running lean?? cause i took it for a spin prob an hour ago and it felt fine still wasnt amazingly impressed maybe the kit has just grown on me and if i got on a stock rap then it would be diff. but it seemed fine and i have dyno jet 142 mains and dyno needles im at about 4000 feet. i dk

Old 04-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default DYNO JET??????

Im running perfectly fine...Im piped, high compressioned, cammed, intaked and spark plug wired. I started of with 148/150 Dynojets from my Stage 2 kit and have worked up to bigger jets as the mods came along. You are WAY wrong here pipeit660, Im at sea level so my jetting is going to be fatter than most of you east coast guys. I have NO airbox so that was a huge increase in airflow and that alone caused me to jet up 3 sizes. Also with the new spark plug wire I had to jet up one more size. I can post a pic of my plug and you can tell Im running a bit lean still. No leaks, boots are fine. I wil just keep my nose out of this mess, I dont want to get in any discussion here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: DYNO JET??????