Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification Suggestions for my 1997 Wolverine

Whitebrothers makes a wolverine cam?

Old 06-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

CTATV - Yeah, I forgot that White Brothers made a cam for it, but I dont know anything thing about it as far as lift and duration numbers, nor reliablility issues. From everything Ive seen, White Brothers make quality parts. I see that you have one, how do you like yours? Also how does your bike run? It sounds like it should get down the road pretty good.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SpDdEmOn
Race Valve Springs can only make it more reliable because it will keep you from floating the valves. It will also let you rev quicker.

Please explain how valve springs will make it rev quicker. Rev higher,yes.......quicker?

Old 06-10-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Remember, they are stiffer and stronger, therefore they have a higher spring constant. This means that it takes more pressure to compress them and they will decompress quicker. Well obviously this will let it rev higher than with the stock valve springs because they return back down (decompression) and let the valves close like they are supposed to at high rpms, intstead of staying half-way sprung open (valve floating) because they arent strong enough to decompress fast enough to close before the cam has made another revolution and opened them back up.

It will let it rev faster for basically the same reason and principal, I think it works like this.........it takes less time for each revolution basically. Everything is connected in together, the valve springs are compressed from the lobes on the cam which is turned by the sprocket which is turned by the timing chain which in connected to the crankshaft which revolves. Well if the valve springs are decompressing quicker, then the engine is actually making a revolution in less time than what was previously required. If you take two very small springs, maybe out of like a ballpoint pen or something, and make sure that one is stronger than the other one. You will actually be able to push one down at not only a faster rate, but you will be able to to push the stronger one, faster quicker because it will decompress in less time, thus making the time that it takes for the stonger spring to compress and return to original height less than the weaker. I hope this makes sense. I have never really tried to explain anything like this about valve springs before. I know basically what is going on, but Im at a loss for words in a sense when trying to expain it. Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Adam whats the lift on the FST race cam kit?

Old 06-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

It's around .390, maybe a little higher, but close to that. It's not a totally top end oriented cam, but its made with maximum acceleration in mind, bottom to top.

Old 06-12-2004, 10:34 AM
eja
Range Rover

Does FST sell a high comp. piston, cam, with racing valve springs kit for the wolverine?, or do I need to order a cam from web or FST and get a piston somewhere else? I am trying to go ahead and get the parts ordered but having some difficulty in where to get the piston. I take it FST does not have a web site. I can order the cam and springs from web but cant find a piston ( was thinking wiseco) for a wolverine. A little help in the right direction would get me on my way, thanks.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

eja - Mickey has the kit, I think its called the performace kit or something like that. It includes all of the things that you just named. Im not too familiar with it, but it says its the best bang for the buck. I think its $395 if Im not mistaken, but I may be so dont take the price literal. Give Mickey a call, you may be able to just order it all.

Old 06-14-2004, 12:11 AM

Go to the NAVIGATION bar(?) scroll down to the "PERFORMANCE MODS ..............." choice, hit enter. Then when the forum appears choose the "ADVANCED SEARCH" bar. Type in wolverine.. It's all there!! RATTY

Old 06-15-2004, 07:21 PM
eja
Range Rover

thanks for the reply, let you know what happens. Went to my local shop yesterday to pick up some oil and a spark plug. Went in the back to talk to Gary, their mechanic, about maybe doing the piston, cam, and spring work and he just started shaking his no no you don,t want to do that. It will just run hot and your valves will stretch. No good for trail riding because you don't go fast enough to keep it cool. Kinda bummed me out. I am going to give Mickey a call. Maybe he can ease my mind on this, since he has more information on the subject than "Gary" thanks again.

Quick Reply: Modification Suggestions for my 1997 Wolverine