Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lowering Kits (Front and Rear) Not Made for Jumping??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Kits (Front and Rear) Not Made for Jumping??

Read many threads that say its a no no - spoken to 3 companies that make them and they say moderate jumping is ok (up to 5ft).

So has anyone here used a lowering kit and actually broken an a-arm or shock mount?

If so was it from jumping?

If so how high?

I am tyring to figure out what are the limits here.... I mostly trail ride but on occasion run into that great hill to catch some air (no denying it) but never more than 5 ft or so.

Help me out here - you guys with exp speak up - are you saying not to leave the ground if you use a kit? OR dont jump over approx how many ft high?

Thanks,

Old 05-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

My friend has snapped his left A-Arm twice with his durablue lowering kit. The lower it is, the more chance of bottom out, and wear on your A-Arms.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

Do you think using an upper bracket like this would help the shock angle and put things back in proper geometry?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2476847769

Thanks for your input,

Brent

Originally posted by: DieScarred
My friend has snapped his left A-Arm twice with his durablue lowering kit. The lower it is, the more chance of bottom out, and wear on your A-Arms.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

If your concerned so much about jumping and breaking sh*t with a lowering kit then why would you want it? I still don't see a need for those unless your goin in a straight line, just widen the bike if your lookin for stability. If you like jumping and trail riding why lower the bike?

Old 05-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly. Get an Axle, and some arms and youll never have to worry about anything really. If its not a straight line machine, I see no need for a lowering kit.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

Why you ask? Well I am 6'4 and 250 lbs and the Raptor is top heavy with me on it and wants to roll more than slide.

Thats why I want to lower it. In addition, I do not want to widen to front for 2 reasons. 1st. I ride trails and the wider I go - the less trails I can ride and end up tearing up rims on rocks and snag trees following other 4 wheelers through the woods. 2nd. I can just fit our Raptor and two dirt bikes on our trailer, hence the wider I go - the more likely I cant fit them all on the darn trailer.

Brent

Originally posted by: BigBubba
If your concerned so much about jumping and breaking sh*t with a lowering kit then why would you want it? I still don't see a need for those unless your goin in a straight line, just widen the bike if your lookin for stability. If you like jumping and trail riding why lower the bike?

Old 05-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

If you widen it as little as 2" in the rear you'll gain ALOT more stability and it won't hurt you on the trails or in the bed of the truck. 2" is a night and day difference, you'll see if you decide to do it. Also lowering the front end widens it also, so either way you're gonna end up widening it.

If you don't feel like buying a new axle to widen it just get some spacers, there cheap and easy to install (compaired to an axle).

Old 05-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you like jumping and trail riding why lower the bike?
Because sometimes you hill climb on the trails, and the lowering kit's save your @$$.