Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the yamaha raptor reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004 | 08:34 PM
Range Rover
Default Is the yamaha raptor reliable?

My buddy has an 01 raptor(tranny victim) and has had his share of problems with it, just had to rebuild the top end last summer. The biggest complaint is that the bearings do not last to long in it. I heard the newer ones have been updated though.

Old 05-14-2004 | 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

my buddy has gone through raptors in just over a year. first one 03-tranny victim, the 04 was just a joke....soo much power but a never ending fix-it machine. Not to mention 1st gear went out of the 04. Now he has a YFZ450 and couldn't be happier. After about 2 months of good jumping on a raptor....your shocks are junk. Good power and acceleration...a little tippy for my likeing....but a good bike

Old 05-14-2004 | 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

your buddy needs to take care of his bikes better..

They are great bikes and last a long time with the right maintence..

Old 05-15-2004 | 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1BADRAPTOR
your buddy needs to take care of his bikes better..

They are great bikes and last a long time with the right maintence..
he's a mechanic and it gets all its maintenence....we just ride our quads harder than some racers. We ride em' like they should be ridden. our motto is "if you didn't roll it at least once on that riding day, you didn't ride hard enough"

Old 05-15-2004 | 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

I've raced mine for the past two years, and the only thing I had to replace was the oil on a regular basis. Other than regular maintanance, I've never had a problem......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2004 | 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

he had quite a bit of money worth of mods in it...and everything was going to crap on it. It was sweet while he had it. I miss the power of that thing

Old 05-15-2004 | 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

As long as you are changing the oil and doing regular preventitive maintenance on your raptor, there aren't going to be any major problems. The only major problems i've heard of is the 01 Trannys and the brake reservoir recall.

Old 05-15-2004 | 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Mine has suspension mods, handling mods, and "comfort" mods, but I left the engine stock. Only thing I touched powerwise is an aftermarket pipe, K & N Filter, and re-jetted. I figure the engine has plenty of reliable power, just needed to make it respond quicker. Plus..if something does go wrong, as long as the mods are not done internally to the engine, the warranty will still be valid. I'll just need to pull the race #'s off and take it back to the dealer.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2004 | 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 04 raptor now and i have had no problems at all with it. I had a 01 before this one that i got used and the boy that had it abused it to no end. It never needed anything more than bearings and brakes ( and it still has the 01 tranny ). My brother has that raptor now and its still going fine no problems.

Old 05-15-2004 | 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi i got an 01 raptor that naaes rear pads would you know what im getting myself onto i am fairly mec inclined but never worked on atv brakes....any tips?

Quick Reply: Is the yamaha raptor reliable?