Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CBSNEWS ATV Danger FULL STORY

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 01:22 AM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBSNEWS ATV Danger FULL STORY

Oulawing ATVs larger than 90cc to kids under 16 will do something.
It protects the manufaturer, which could do better things with the money than give it to the irresponsible.

The proposed state laws on the table will involve two major key points.

It makes it a commited felony crime by the parent when the child under 16 , knowingly by the parent, is riding a full size quad and an acident takes place which kills the child. Injuries will be child neglect.

State and local public ride areas will impose a fine to the parent in violation of the new law.

Law #1 will apply to all lands, both public and private. Law #2 pertains to public property.

Comparing this issue with handguns is a good one.
I understand your point, but I see it the other way around I guess. Children get killed with guns all the time with or without adult supervision. The proof is all the dad/son hunting trips gone bad stories on the news each deer season.

One thing is for sure. This is a contoversial topic in more ways than one.

Great discussion.

Old 05-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

I will bet that there is not law in their state that forbids letting your kid run around the yard with a steak knife in his hands. So if these parent let their kid run around with a knife and he fell on it and died, they would blame the state for not having a law against it, and blame the knife maker for making the knife too sharp and pointy.

That is the exact same thing the parents and the media are doing in this case. Everyone is too ignorant or too scared to point the finger at the parents for child endangerment. If they let their kid go out by himself in the middle of the night, let him drink alcohol, let him drive the car, let him cut firewood with a chainsaw, they would be could be held liable for child endangerment. Not even taking into account that some of those are illegal. It is just common sense. Keep your kids safe, and if you don't, then take responsibility for the conseqences. Don't blame it on others and hurt the image or livelihood of that particular activity!!!

RR1

Old 05-16-2004, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing but the news creating the crises de juor. Somebody mentioned that they "don't understand" about the size of a certain age kid on a certain quad. Here's a clue: understanding has nothing to do with their reports. They are made from a preconceived notion that they are looking down at the unwashed masses and are put on this earth to save us from ourselves. These news "reporters" are all liberal busybodies out to save the world and really believe we cannot be trusted with ourselves and our own judgment.

And the greatest evil on the planet, the American Trial Lawyers, another pit of liberal greed, is marching lockstep with them to remove our rights, extort our money, and run our lives through bastardization of law since they can't pass those laws through legitimate legislation against the popular will.

Next time you see a news report like this, ask yourself what the newscast is trying to accomplish. The answer invariably will be loss of your rights and freedoms at the behest of an all-powerful Big Brother Government controlling your life. Liberals like that belong over with the Al Jazeera gang right under an exploding nuke.

God what a boring post I just made.

Old 05-16-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Oh and by the way, a news report on 25 million kids 16 and under riding safely all year wouldn't be too flashy, would it?

Dog bites man is not news.

Man bites dog sells.

Old 05-16-2004, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

News reports like this is why I strongly urge ALL ATV riders and racers to join clubs or organizations that support the sport of ATV riding. The Blue Ribbon Coalition..San Diego Off-Road Coalition....ATVA....any organization thats speaks up for the ATV rider. There are millions of "tree-huggers" that speak up and fight for their cause. There are millions of ATV riders, but many are only interested in the ride and not politics.

If we all got involved and came together, we would outnumber the "greenies" by at least 2 to 1 and our voices would be heard by everyone that ATVing ISN'T dangerous. Not as dangerous as driving on our local roads!!! But as long as peoples mindsets are that of "let someone else handle it", our sport will continue to be put in the hot seat, and laws will be made to hinder our ability to enjoy our sport. GET INVOLVED!!!! Maybe your kids will want to ride in the future!!!! OK...Enough of that...I need a beer....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2004, 02:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Buy the kids a CR250R. There's no stickers or laws against that. Maybe someday. After they're are done with the quads.

Old 05-16-2004, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Good point Racer Rob, I'm an NRA member for many years but not in any ATV orgs. I need to get off my butt and join Blue Ribbon. Another Sam Adams, please.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Range Rover

i know a kid that is 13 years old 6 foot 3 inches tall and over 220 pounds NOW seeing him on a honda 90cc come on that would be a pretty funny sight. im 15 and taller than dad and heavyer than him and hes 40 years old now he would be able to rid a full size quad and i would have to ride the 90 cc that doesnt make any sense when i am bigger they just keep coming up with new ways to ruin the fun for kids kids will be kids and they are gonna get hurt no matter what. the people that make these laws just dont remeber when they were kids just like that they want to change the driving age now all of a sudden these people just need to make up their minds and the laws are the laws and they have been the same for how long now and all of a sudden everyone that fallowed theese laws when they were a kid now want to change it for this generation
AND THEY WONDER WHY KIDS NOW A DAYS ARE GETTIN INTO DRUGS ( i dont do drugs and never will)

Old 05-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

I thinke the problem in this case is that the parents were using their "family atv" as a baby sitter for their son.. they were not supervising him.. ATV's are not ment to keep your kids busy so the parents can have some quiet time around the house...

Old 05-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

The parents are just trying to cover up for their own STUPID mistakes, and ease the thoughts off them "killing" thier son. bunch of idiots.

Quick Reply: CBSNEWS ATV Danger FULL STORY