Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

So I had a scare this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004 | 09:09 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default So I had a scare this weekend...

Was out at Little Sahara, OK this weekend and was having a great time until this happened.... Was tearing @ss down a long whoop section and down shifted from 3rd to 2nd...as I approached a "S" turn...went from 2nd to 1st and when I let out the clutch, the engine just stalled and the rear wheels were locked up. Well, my raptor being a '01 I feared the worst...you guessed it, I thought the second gear went out. I tried to shift it up or down with no luck. I was able to start it with the clutch in, but as soon as I let it out....stall. I was pretty pissed by this point and since I thought the tranny was shot anyway, I rev'd the engine and dropped the clutch. My buddy was next to me watching the whole thing. When I dropped the clutch he noticed that the wheels slightly moved in the reverse direction. Hmmm....this got me to thinking that maybe it was stuck in the middle of 1st, Reverse, and 2nd. Well, after a bit of messing with the reverse **** I was able to get it back in to 1st. The rest of the weekend went great...no more problems. (of course I haven't tried to use reverse again...LOL) Is this common?!?!

Old 05-16-2004 | 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

i dont know...sometimes mine doesnt even wanna shift u have to kick it up reaaal hard then its fine after a while

Old 05-16-2004 | 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

Ya, sometimes, my '01 rappy has a problem disengaging from reverse. So I have to drive another foot backwards, then forewards.
Kinda weird, but my transmition is still holding up great!!

Old 05-16-2004 | 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

We were at LS this weekend also.I was on the red polaris scrambler with black nose on the drag strip.

Old 05-17-2004 | 12:30 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

LS is a good time.....just something about hitting the dunes in the middle of the night that keeps the adrenaline pumping. That was my first time there. I grew up in Southern Cali so I was right around the corner from Glamis....I miss those dunes...they seem to go on and on and on...

As far as the reverse issue....yeah I am not sure what the hell happened...I just hope it doesn't happen again. I wasn't looking forward to being pulled out of there....especially on the 2nd ride of the weekend.