Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ Jetting

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ Jetting

I have a question for any knowledgable YFZ 450 folks out there. I have a friend who just put a slip on pipe on his 450. He's been told by a shop here in Tucson that he doesn't need to jet for this, he just needs to keep his airbox lid on. I've ridden the quad before and after the slip on. It does run better, but I know if he was to pull the lid, and rejet the thing would be awsome. Has anyone here ever used a slip on, with the airbox lid on without rejetting, then pulled the lid, and rejetted? If so, was there a big gain like I suspect there would be? My buddy is lazy, and doesn't want to mess with adjusting the needle which is only like a 1/2 hour job. I think 6 bucks for a jet, and 30 mins would be worth the trouble to find out. If someone here could vouch for this, I'll have more info to convince him. I know it sounds strange, someone who doesn't want more power. This guy spends most of his time buying quads, not riding them. I want it jetted, so I can enjoy it!!! LOL Thanks for any help folks!!!
Justin

Old 05-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default YFZ Jetting

You are correct, lid off and a rejet would be like a whole different bike, BUT its not your bike so love her the way she is[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ Jetting

Tis' true, however he's always busting my ***** about making my stuff faster, so now it's his turn!!! LOL I'm 260 lbs, he's 120 lbs soaking wet. It's waaaaay more expensive for me to make my stuff run with just his stock bikes!!! (Not fair) Anyway, these YFZ's are outstanding bikes, I can't believe how strong it is the way it's set up. I took his for a spin today, and came away very impressed. I'm waiting to read something on a stroked 450, or even a big bore, that bike would really become a rocket.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:40 AM
Range Rover
Default YFZ Jetting

When you first ride a completely stock yfz, its scary how fast it is. but then you get used to it. After pipe, (full system now, but did it orig. w/ a slip on) jet and filter, w/o lid...its like a whole new bike. And you wont get used to it. I havent yet..its very noticeable the gains you get. it doesnt need anything else after that. but after dune riding, im doin a 470 big bore on mine here in a couple weeks