Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I don't get this...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004 | 05:59 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default I don't get this...

Ok, I have my Warrior with fairly new razrs probably about 70-75% tread left on the rear and I have the White Brothers R4, Pro Desgin foam filter and pro design intake. I also have a 12 tooth front sprocket.

Well, there is a kid I rde with. He has a Completely stock 02 Warrior, it's pretty nice. There are these hill climbs we call em the 43 hills becuase they run right along a highway called route 43. Anyway, they are pretty steep hills and I have to crawl up them in second. I do them in third and it bogs down completely at the very top. I have actually stalled it at the very very top while trying em in 3rd gear. So 2nd gear is good if I start like 10ft from the hill and pin it I go right up em.

There is another hill that is fairly steep but not as long....I have to crawl up them in 2nd still and my friends warrior who I said was all stock and tires pretty bald, he flys up in 3rd gear. I have never tried it in 3rd, but I would imagine I would bog. And I have a lower tooh front sprocket and my pipe and filter!

On the first hills I was talking about also, my friend said he went up them in 4th most of the way then downshifted to 3rd. and He has a 300ex....

Does this mean something is wrong with my quad? Or should I start downshifting in the middle of the hill?

Later,
Warrior68Man

Old 05-19-2004 | 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

did u rejet?

Old 05-19-2004 | 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

make sure your filter is clean, and try playing with your jets, sounds like you are not tuned right

Old 05-19-2004 | 06:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would start by pulling the spark plug and seeing how you are running....lean or rich...your jetting must be off and it's costing you performance.

Old 05-19-2004 | 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

the trick is to not down shift doing up the hill, where u down shift thats where you will be stuck. but anyway chech or make sure you have jetted it properly.

Old 05-19-2004 | 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

now that's just wrong, when your on a big hill you have no choice but to down shift, the trick is to downshift before you start losing to much speed

Old 05-19-2004 | 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

well if you downshift you will just start spining since your going to a lower gear and your already at mid-high rpms for the gear above it.

Old 05-19-2004 | 06:46 PM
|
Pro Rider

ahh so this may be a jetting problem?
damn...I bought a bigger main jet and never put it in because I thought it was running good.....I will go check the plug right now.....I thought may when the guy before me put the intake and filter on...that he jetted it alittle too rich and it evened out with the pipe. I guess he didn't rejet at all.

Excatly where are the jets in the carb on a warrior? Will I need to move my gas tank like I did when I had to put my new throttle cable for my twist throttle? Or can I get to it from the side?

Stock is 145 and I think I bought a 150. If I can find it.

Please lemme know quick because if I can I will try to rejet it tonight...

Later,
Warrior68Man

Old 05-19-2004 | 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

try the 150 it may help. And eric, you must not climb very many big hills, or your are mostly on hard terrain, I'm not sure which so I'm not bagging on you, but i will clarify myself, on loose terrain you need wheelspin to help keep up rpm's and power, so the down shift is a good thing. but if you have let yourself slowdown too much then you are right it will start diggin in and you will stop.

Old 05-19-2004 | 08:31 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks.....but does anyone know where the jets are in the carb? Like what will I have to take off inorder to get to them?

Quick Reply: I don't get this...